Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caravans are back

Snowball, sorry, I missed your earlier reply. Well done you, but, yes, can imagine the diatribe you were subjected to. I used to tow a Sprite Musketeer, so you know how long ago that was! Fifth wheelers (I think they're called) are generally viewed with disgust on the forum I often visit.

I'm sticking to my statement that most caravans are well driven but they are seriously getting too wide. However, motorhomes are just as wide, don't have restrictions on them and anyone hiring doesn't have the option of training. That lack of training is self-evident in the manner in which many of these vehicles are driven.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Why are most of them caravan sites so far from motorways and duel carriageways, causing hold ups on the trunk roads, where there is no chance of overtaking them?
    This aspect is rather amusing, because caravans under tow are subject to the same speed regulations as HGVs. So, a hold up by a caravan is no different to that by an HGV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    There seems to be controversy currently between the EU and the british government over MOTs for caravans. .

Who wants to sign this petition? http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/53735
    Dennis, I believe that many caravan owners are pro-MoT for their vans, but the government is out of touch with reality. Like most responsible owners, we have our caravan serviced annually. Caravan service engineers are specially trained to NCC standards, and already carry out servicing better than anything the government could dream up.
    Where the MoT would be taken in their stride by existing service engineers, the government want bureaucracy at the forefront, and no doubt a few 'jobs for the boys'.
    The other sticking point is, at what van-year do you commence the MoT? Caravans do not have unique registration plates, so rounding up all those out there would be an impossible task. And the caravans most likely to cause the greatest risk would be virtually untraceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    This aspect is rather amusing, because caravans under tow are subject to the same speed regulations as HGVs. So, a hold up by a caravan is no different to that by an HGV.
    This is not correct. On single carriageway roads, trucks are allowed 40mph; caravans, 50mph. On dual carriageways, trucks 50mph; caravans, 60mph. On motorways, trucks 60mph (but they are all governed to 55mph); caravans 60mph.

OK Santa - got it a bit wrong there. So, in actual fact, a caravan is less of a hindrance than an HGV.

Should be.... Of course truck drivers are under pressure to get the job done, so will tend to drive faster than a caravan driver who is on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Should be.... Of course truck drivers are under pressure to get the job done, so will tend to drive faster than a caravan driver who is on holiday.
    Subject to safety, I drive at (not above) the speed limit. As for truck drivers being under pressure, that is absolutely no excuse - the law applies to all.

To my mind, it would be impossible to make caravan MoTs retrospective and, as Snowball's pointed out, if you buy a new 'van, then the warranty means you must have your caravan inspected annually. Caravans cost a lot new so can't see many owners reneging on this.

Personally, I'd rather caravans of whatever age were inspected by proper caravan engineers who are much more likely to spot deficiencies than the average garage mechanic.

Regarding the comments about caravan owners and truck drivers above, what I usually experience is that our main roads in much of Scotland mean trucks (lorries) have to drive at much lower speeds because of the nature of the roads. This means that the caravanner is also forced to travel at lower speeds because they can't overtake (few opportunities!). Aside from the problem that many drivers (doesn't matter what vehicle they're in) don't leave enough space to allow more agile vehicles to take advantages of safe overtaking, there is, sorry, Snowball, don't mean you or many) an awfie lot of tourists out there who are looking at the scenery not the road!

I apologize to motorhomers, but they are still worse - predominantly the hired ones - than caravans.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Subject to safety, I drive at (not above) the speed limit. As for truck drivers being under pressure, that is absolutely no excuse - the law applies to all.
    Did I say it was? My point is the same as FJ. People who are driving because it's their job, have a different priority to holidaymakers driving for pleasure. With speed cameras so ubiquitous these days, few truck drivers dare exceed the limit. After all, if they lose their licence they lose their jobs.

Quote....." an awfie lot of tourists out there who are looking at the scenery not the road!"

Aye! tell me about it, they used to cause chaos on the old A9 back in the 80s, when I was working down South, and coming home for week-ends?

On one occasion, I eventually got my turn to pass a car, doing 30 mph because the drivers wife was filming the scenery with her camcorder?
    Last edited by smudger; 28-10-13 at 20:57.