Thread: ABS & SERV Warning Lights on Renault Clio

Default ABS & SERV Warning Lights on Renault Clio

My wife's 2004 1.4 Renault Clio appears to have a fault
    with the ABS braking system as the ABS & SERV
    warning lights remain on once the engine is running.

Before I spend a fortune with a main dealer I wondered
    if this is a common fault, perhaps a failed wheel sensor
    that I could identify and replace myself.

Any advise would be much appreciated

A diagnostic check with suitable equipment should pin point the problem. You can find good independent garages with the equipment to do this cheaper than a main dealer.

Depending on your ability, you can check the sensors physically for any damage or contamination. Also check the stator rings on the driveshafts for hairline cracks (the rings are pressed on to the shafts and can split), damage and contamination. A CV boot on a driveshaft may be split and grease may be all over the sensor/stator ring.
    If you have a multi-meter you can check the resistance of the sensors. If you need this, reply, and I will find the expected values.
    As MrDanno says, you do NOT have to go to Renault for this repair - many garages do this work a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Depending on your ability, you can check the sensors physically for any damage or contamination. Also check the stator rings on the driveshafts for hairline cracks (the rings are pressed on to the shafts and can split), damage and contamination. A CV boot on a driveshaft may be split and grease may be all over the sensor/stator ring.
    If you have a multi-meter you can check the resistance of the sensors. If you need this, reply, and I will find the expected values.
    As MrDanno says, you do NOT have to go to Renault for this repair - many garages do this work a lot cheaper.
    Many thanks for your time and trouble in replying, I will certainly examine the stator rings for damage as suggested. I do have a multi-meter and a good friend who is an electrical engineer so if you could advise the resistance value fo the sensors we should be able to see if any are faulty.

Look forward to your reply, it is also good to know that I should be able to get assistance from a suitably equiped garage rather than a main dealer should I not solve the problem myself.
    Last edited by bowbrook; 04-06-09 at 22:15.

Why is it that when we take our cars to the Dealer we bought if from, they always seem to charge more than other garages?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    Why is it that when we take our cars to the Dealer we bought if from, they always seem to charge more than other garages?
    It is the main dealer 'rip off' Usually people will take a car to the main dealers because of the warranty and then you have the other people that believe that only main dealers do a proper job.

The wheel speed sensor resistance should be 1100 ohms approx. The air gap 0.2-1.5mm (the closer the better). If you can turn the front wheels fast enough (jack up, start and put into 4th gear) the voltage which is A.C. should be around 0.4v for the front and 0.2v at the rear, again approx.
    Front wheel bearings are a bit of a weak point on Clios so check for any play in the hub.
    And check all ABS fuses are okay.