Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Micra, timing chain/tensioner noise on starting engine

Default 2007 Micra, timing chain/tensioner noise on starting engine

Hello, hope someone can advise, Just bought a 2007 Nissan Micra, on starting in the mornings it appears to have a timing chain/tensioner rattle, then on driving for first few gear changes can hear similar noise just at point of gear change. Later in the day engine startup is quiet. Bought this car as previously had a NIssan some years ago with great reliability but checked on net last night and read various reports that the Micra now has Renault parts and is known to have timing chain stretch problems. Dealer this weekend admitted this is true, they want me to leave the car overnight with them to assess the 'cold startup noise'.. and they say it may just be timing chain tensioners causing the rattle on cold startup and that this is 'normal'? Concerned that dealership will try to fob me off as I'm female and not technicaly aware ... a) a new car surely shouldn't have timing chain slack, b) no other car I've had made this noise on cold startups in mornings, c) timing chains should last so I'm now worried that I've got one of the MIcra's that are prone to timing chain stretching. Any advice would be appreciated

I know of an issue with the almera reference timing chain stretch but didn't know it affected micra.The only thing I can say is the vehicle is under warranty and as such then if any work needs doing I'm sure the dealership will do it.

Thanks for reply on brand new micra/noise on startup.. dealer service centre initially told me the noise is normal, that it was simply the timing chain tensioners making a noise on cold startup... i then told them I'd read various references to micra's having premature timing chain stretch... mechanic then admitted this was true and he'd had to change a chain on one micra at only 5k miles!... car is going in overnight next week so they can do a cold startup.. never had this noise with any other car on cold startup ... so if they tell me this noise is normal for a brand new Micra, what do i do next? ..

Without hearing the noise I cannot comment on whether it is 'normal' or not.You will have to see what the dealer says and if you are not happy with the outcome you could always get another dealer to inspect the vehicle.Let us know the outcome.It worth printing off these 'references' to the issue and presenting then to your dealer.

No you havn't bought a Nissan Micra youv'e bought a Renault...

Just picked up on this one. I work at the plant and the Micra engine uses no common engine parts that are used by Renault. It sounds more like an incorrectly fitted tensioner on the chain.

hi given the age of the car I would get this back into the dealer and ask to start a similar vehicle from cold and compare the noise, if there is any signifcant difference then ask them to make the cars sound similar

I worked at nissan for ten years and we have long experinced timing chain problems

The most common engines that sufferd from chain sretch were the almera and primera models (X99-54 plate) fitted with QG15 and QG18 engine.
    The K11 model (1993-03) never sufferd from chain stretch (they just used to snap!)

The K12 micra (your model) is fitted with a nissan timing chain and we did have problems with the early K12 chains stretching, which causes loss of power (due to the ignition timing being out) and you may get the engine warning light on which usually flags up a fault with the camshaft position sensor, again this is due to the timing being out.

The noise on start up has been common on the micra since the first models from 1993. It is noticable more on cold mornings, as soon as the oil pump starts getting oil to the top of the engine the noise goes.

I would not be to concerned at the moment about you're car, I know they have fitted a modified chain on the later models so I wouldnt worry untill you notice running problems with the car and/or engine warning lights.

Make sure it is serviced every 9,000 miles or 12 months (whichever is sooner),
    to keep ther warranty valid incase the chain needs attention in the future
    Last edited by MerseyPatrol; 07-11-07 at 01:23.

Default Nissan Almera cam chain

Hi
    Just bought a 99 Almera 1.4 Ambition for my wife. It's got 91k on the clock and runs very quietly and smooth. There is no record of the cam chain change so can you tell me when I should have it done please?
    Cheers
    Last edited by jwccornock; 10-11-07 at 21:50.

Default Chain

Quote Originally Posted by jwccornock View Post
    Hi
    Just bought a 99 Almera 1.4 Ambition for my wife. It's got 91k on the clock and runs very quietly and smooth. There is no record of the cam chain change so can you tell me when I should have it done please?
    Cheers
    Leave it alone and dont worry about it , theres no replacement interval on a chain as far as im aware .If it aint broke then dont fix it.
    The chains have been known to stretch , but not every single one .
    Just keep the oil changes to the correct times/mileage