Thread: Ford Focus 2001 1.6 Zetec Automatic

Default Ford Focus 2001 1.6 Zetec Automatic

My daughter's Car -
    Suddenly won't go over 30 engine management light on
    Stopped the car
    Restarted car and whenever reached 60mph felt it was going to stall.
    Previously, the other amber light came on occasionally (like a sun symbol with ! in it) and gearbox reluctant to change at times.
    When I checked auto fluid level it seemed too high to me.
    Taking to an honest garage who has diagnostic reader later today - any comments or advice welcomed - thanks

Best to wait and see what the codes are in the ECU when the garage does the diagnostic.

Default Thought it was sorted!

Never got to know the Codes
    They changed the COIL (they are always changing them about 3 a week they said)
    Total charge including diagnostic 82 - fair?
    I do trust this particular Garage. They are very honest.
    All seemed fine for 24 hours and now the Engine Maintenance light has come on full time although the car drives OK
    I have told her to take it back tomorrow.
    Daughter very worried - it must be a sensor don't you think?

82 is very fair.
    The problem with the Focus is the coil causing other damage. I'd think that the catalyst is now damaged by the misfiring. The catalyst is very close to the engine on this car and is prone to this problem.
    If you have it code read again you may find code P0420 which is catalyst below efficiency. The garage needs to check what the oxygen sensors are reading in live data before condemning the 'cat' as they may be damaged too.

Default Is this good advice?

The car has been back to the Garage a couple of times, they have test driven it, and assure my daughter that there is nothing wrong despite the engine management light being on a lot of the time! (I am still not sure how long and how regular)
    I do not know if they have done any more diagnostic tests and am now wondering if they did one in the first place!
    If it runs OK should she worry (I have said she should not but I am secretly concerned)
    Does this sort of car have self diagnostics?
    I should actually see it for myself tomorrow so any help gratefully received.
    Thanks to "hometune" for comments up to now

If the light is on there is a fault. It HAS to go on a scanner to get the code. There is no other way to do this properly.