Thread: Spare car key

Default Spare car key

As a lot of second hand cars only come with 1 key, I would advise anybody in this situation to get a spare key straight away. I am a auto locksmith and the amount of people that become unstuck just because they rely so much on 1 car key is unbelievable.

I understand some car keys are expensive now but believe me it is well worth the money as one day it will catch you out.

Hello keymandave, and welcome to the site, is it possible to post a price range for making spare keys?
    Also, why is it that tey are sold with only one key, as they always come with 2 keys when bought new?
    Cheers, Smudger.

During my time with the AA, I must have done thousands of effect-entries and then either an ignition switch dismantle or a lock removal because of people losing or breaking the only key they had. I think every instance had a comment along the lines of 'I meant to get a spare'.

Hi, its very difficult to give a price range for spare car keys as they are all so different.

Roughly I would say based on vehicle years

Pre 95 = 5
    1995 - 1999 = 40
    2000 to prsent =
    non remote key 60 - 75.
    remote keys 85 - 120.

Also most modern vehicle's are meant to come with a security code or immobiliser code these are usually kept safe by the first owner. These can normally be bought for around 20.00.

Like I said spare keys are not cheap but can save you so much hassle in the long run.

I have an old Rover 214 with two keys but only one fob, if that went down I would be stuck as it will imobasise its self, I believe that you can get it started with nthe key, you have to turn it a certain way and stand on one leg with your tounge out I think. Dave do you know if I just get hold of a spare fob can I code it myself or is it a dealer job.