Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of spare tyres

Default No spare wheel

I've just had this discussion with another dealer who sells cars which have an unimpeachable reputation for safety.

They offer a no-cost option of a light-weight spare wheel, but their attitude is, they say, that they think that for anyone to attempt to change a wheel is too dangerous - they reckon to have collected statistics on KSI, people changing wheels on motorways, at night, in poor weather, hit by traffic, incompetance with tools (car slipping off jack etc), and they insist their approach avoids all this. At the cost of a tyre ruined by gloop, presumably.

I'm not entirely convinced, but I must admit they have a point I hadn't considered before!

Watcher, although I accept that as a reasonable argument, I wonder how it stands up to how many KSI there have been involving those who did not have a spare tyre. (Or just didn't want to get their hands dirty.) I think we pretty much accept that the gloop is pretty useless on a motorway puncture, as usually the tyre seal is blown due to the distance driven to stop. I have changed a number of wheels on the hard shoulder, and have also seen a number of TrafPol changing wheels for people to get them mobile asap and off the hard shoulder. I honestly don't know the answer, but I will definitely stick to a proper spare, and change it when necessary.

Default Gloop

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Watcher, although I accept that as a reasonable argument, I wonder how it stands up to how many KSI there have been involving those who did not have a spare tyre. (Or just didn't want to get their hands dirty.) I think we pretty much accept that the gloop is pretty useless on a motorway puncture, as usually the tyre seal is blown due to the distance driven to stop. I have changed a number of wheels on the hard shoulder, and have also seen a number of TrafPol changing wheels for people to get them mobile asap and off the hard shoulder. I honestly don't know the answer, but I will definitely stick to a proper spare, and change it when necessary.
    I shouldn't think for a minute they have! I've never tried the gloop, and don't intend to, because 1] I see no reason to ruin a perfectly good tyre just because it has a little hole in it, and 2] if its worse than that - e.g. sidewall damage, I'd be wasting my time anyway!

I agree with you, I think this is just one of those idiotic fashion things that manufacturers all slavishly adopt without really thinking it through, (like front fog lights, or the current trend towards "slab" sided doors with no protecton strip - see BMW, for instance).

I too will be sticking with a proper spare wheel - the man selling the cars made by the firm that sounds like an old light bulb manufacturer told me I'd be lucky to find any modern car that has a spare, well I was, and I have and what's more it's a full-sized alloy - it's on its way from Germany as we speak - made by a firm whose logo looks like 3 letter Vs.

A friend of mine is in the market for a replacement used car. He was looking on AutoTrader, and mentioned that a few of the ads he has looked at specify 'Full Size Spare Wheel' as a selling point.

Yea! then when you go to trade in it, they say its a bad thing as it takes up space and adds weight to the car?

Either way, the motorists loses out...as usual

Default That ****** spare wheel....

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    Yea! then when you go to trade in it, they say its a bad thing as it takes up space and adds weight to the car?

Either way, the motorists loses out...as usual
    Only just noticed this - I couldn't disagree more strongly! First, my car is designed with proper space for a proper spare wheel which, being alloy, weighs b***er-all, and if when I need to sell it I can guarantee I'll find more interest because I have a full-sized spare! There are still plenty of people who think about what they are buying rather than a] slavishly follow fashion, or b] get conned by salesmens' nonsense!!

This year I changed my 7-seater, 'no spare wheel' for a new model; exactly the same vehicle, but 5-seater with full sized spare wheel.

When we were arranging for a holiday in France, with our 7-seater, Red Pennant (Caravan Club travel service) advised me that, in the event of a puncture, having no serviceable spare would add a 100 surcharge to a call-out. So, I bought a spare, although it took up a lot of room in the luggage compartment.

For my car, the goo had a shelf life of four years, and a replacement container was about 40.

Provision of a properly-stowed, full sized spare should be a strict requirement under the Construction and Use Act.

The point about the dangers of changing a wheel on a busy road is irrelevant; if you call out a patrol, the replacement wheel is still required. In hazardous circumstances it makes sense to call for assistance; the heavy breakdown vehicle with its flashing beacons is better protection than a red plastic triangle.

Thumbs down

The point about the dangers of changing a wheel on a busy road is irrelevant; if you call out a patrol, the replacement wheel is still required. In hazardous circumstances it makes sense to call for assistance; the heavy breakdown vehicle with its flashing beacons is better protection than a red plastic triangle.[/QUOTE]

Flashing beacons mean nothing to some tired hgv drivers im affraid

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    The point about the dangers of changing a wheel on a busy road is irrelevant; if you call out a patrol, the replacement wheel is still required. In hazardous circumstances it makes sense to call for assistance; the heavy breakdown vehicle with its flashing beacons is better protection than a red plastic triangle.

Flashing beacons mean nothing to some tired hgv drivers im affraid[/QUOTE]

True, but as for many things in life, you sometimes meet up with 'Hobson's choice'. I suppose you could ask the rescue driver to park a fair way back from your disabled vehicle; after all, his protection is just as important as your own.

Default Spare wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Flashing beacons mean nothing to some tired hgv drivers im affraid
    True, but as for many things in life, you sometimes meet up with 'Hobson's choice'. I suppose you could ask the rescue driver to park a fair way back from your disabled vehicle; after all, his protection is just as important as your own.[/QUOTE]

I agree there is no way to absolutely guarantee safety while you change a wheel (especially on a motorway hard-shoulder) but there are risks in everything we do - the trick is to recognise them, be reasonable, and to minimise those risks.

As you would have to stick the can of gloop into the tyre valve, you would be just as exposed as if you were changing a wheel, but with a spare wheel to change you could be fairly sure you would be able to continue your journey.

With a can of useless gloop you not only ruin a potentially repairable tyre if the puncture is simple, but if the puncture is severe, e.g. in a sidewall it WON'T work so you are stuffed anyway!