Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Lack of spare tyres

Looking at the Hummer tyre on YouTube, it does not look as though it can 'flow' over the concrete lump in the same way that a conventional tyre would Snowball.

I watched the clips, wagolynn. I am not convinced that these articulated tyres/wheels would deal with all loading conditions. There will still be tyre wear considerations, and these units suggest an eye-watering replacement cost.

Agreed Snowball.

Aye! but we don't know that for sure yet, or about the possible mileage of them?

Or maybe I am just an optimist.

(I'm just a sliver surfer trying to keep up with all this new technology)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    There will still be tyre wear considerations, and these units suggest an eye-watering replacement cost.
    It appears that they might be a wheel/tyre unit, So I agree they most likely will be very expensive. I also agree that they would struggle to offer the same cushioning as an air filled tyre. Even some very low profile tyres now cause problems due to the limit of cushioning they offer (thinking of recent BMW wheels cracking).

Another problem associated with very low profiles is the 'tram-lining' effect. Wonder how they would compare in that respect.

To me, the collective observations of this topic suggest an "if it ain't broke, why fix it?", in favour of the pneumatic tyre.
    Technology can be a marvellous thing, but some technologies are proffered behind a conveniently smoked screen of profit. I think this 'airless tyre' is one of them.

I can see the military using them, as it means the tyres can not be shot out, and the vehicle can carry on driving.

Same goes if a stinger is used to try an puncture the tyres. As for the cost, well I can see that dropping with mass production if the demand for them increases.