Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of spare tyres

Default Lack of spare tyres

Is the RAC happy with new cars being sold without a spare wheel of any kind?

Would I still get roadside assistance?

Good question that John, and welcome to the site. The Mobility Scheme folk insist on a spare wheel being available. The last car we had, had to be modified to carry one.
    Mind you, I would have to call out the RAC if we got a puncture, as with my back and poor motility I would never manage to change a wheel?
    Cheers, Smudger.

Relevant extracts from Terms & Conditions.
    Costs
    4. Any costs incurred as a result of you failing to carry a serviceable spare tyre and wheel, or incurred
    in arranging the removal of a wheel secured by locking wheel nuts when you are unable to provide
    a serviceable key, appropriate to your vehicle, caravan or trailer.
    10. If your caravan or trailer breaks down in a way that means it cannot be repaired, we will be unable to
    recover your caravan or trailer. If this situation arises, we can arrange for the recovery of the caravan
    or trailer, although you will be responsible for any costs incurred. We would recommend that you
    always carry a serviceable spare tyre and wheel appropriate to your vehicle, caravan or trailer.
    Please note: Motorised vehicles that are manufactured without the provision of a spare wheel will be
    considered on their individual merits. Assistance in changing a wheel is covered, subject to you
    carrying a serviceable spare as specified above.

Thank you SMUDGER & ROLEBAMA.

I asked my local garage the same question this morning and they said sling the can of goo and carry an inner tube. Now why did we not think of that!!!

Regards John.

If the vehicle is not supplied with a spare wheel from new then we will give service and not charge for it.

Smudger Motability do not insist on a spare being carried, my friend has a Zafira on motability with no spare, and a lot of motability jobs i go to don't have spare wheels.

Also carrying an inner tube is not really going to help as you still need to get to a tyre depot to have it fitted and if the tyre is damaged on the sidewall with anything more than a pin prick then a tube isn't goinig to fix it.

RAC patrols also now carry a universal spare wheel which can be used in conjunction with the recovery trailer to take a vehicle to the nearest tyre supplier.

That must have been a recent change then, as when we got our second car in 2005 it was a Grand Scenic and they had to modify it to carry one.
    Mind you, there was no mention of it when we picked up our latest one a few months ago?
    Cheers, Smudger

Default Spare wheels

Thank you SALOON DRIFTER.
    So the RAC are going to let the motor industry off the hook by agreeing to take a car, not supplied with a spare, to a tyre supplier in the event of a roadside unrepairable puncture.
    I just hope I never find myself in that situation, I can see a very long day ahead. I still quite fancy the idea of a spare inner tube, as I don't drive in a manner likely to damage the walls of the tyre, all I've ever had are tread penetrations in 58 years of motoring.
    Perhaps I shall return to my youth when the advice was to fill the tyre with grass wrapped in newspaper!!!
    Happy were those days when half way up Porlock we used to stop at the trough to refill our boiling radiators.
    On that note, a happy Easter to you all.
    Regards John.

If you only have a puncture in the tread area then you have no problem, all RAC patrols carry a temporary punc repair kit so you can drive to the garage but at a reduced speed off 40mph.

Default spare wheels

Thanks again SALOON DRIFTER.

Just feel a bit naked without a spare in the boot, looks as if we shall have to get used to it.

Regards to you all.

John.

If you have a puncture on a motorway, neither 10 cans of goo, or an innertube will be of any use to you. By the time you've got onto the hardshoulder and stopped, your tyre will be well and truely knackered and beyond salvage, trust me!
    either get a spare, or one of those narrow temp wheels as a spare.