Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have I been defrauded?

Default How much will a Category C repair affect resale value?

I've just bought a s/h car privately, and ended up with the V5 document. Looking at it, it says under
    3. Special Notes
    SUBSTANTIALLY REPAIRED AND/OR ACCIDENT DAMAGED;IDENTITY CHECKED ON 03 06 2005.

Naturally I'm livid, because this wasn't mentioned at all, and not in the advert, on Autotrader (who tell me the seller doesn't have to declare it). Now, the car itself seems fine, but I'm all for taking it straight back and demanding my money back; although I wouldn't mind keeping it if an arrangement can be made. How much will a Category C repair affect resale value?

I see now that it has been a category C write-off, meaning that it has now been repaired to an insurance-approved level, but that the cost of the repairs exceeded the value of the car; it was 2 years old when this happened, so presumably the repairs must have been extensive.

What advice can anyone offer me?
    thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mrmadcats; 04-04-09 at 09:22.

For a 2 year old car to be written off as "uneconomical to repair" must mean heavy damage. I think that the resale of the car when you come to do it will be hard. I would go back and argue a refund. I doubt that you will win unless it is a trader in disguise as a private seller. The car may be very sound if the repair was done properly. It really is up to you but I agree there is an element of deceit by the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmadcats View Post
    I see now that it has been a category C write-off, meaning that it has now been repaired to an insurance-approved level, but that the cost of the repairs exceeded the value of the car; it was 2 years old when this happened, so presumably the repairs must have been extensive.

What advice can anyone offer me?
    thanks in advance.
    I don't understand why you think it would have been repaired to an insurance approved level (and they are not good anyway, Just cheap).

The only thing the insurance company would have done is deemed it too costly to repair, Paid the customer for the car and stuck it in an auction.

Someone has bought it at auction and repaired it. The quality of the repairs on cars like this can be good or bad.

Cat C or D cars that have been repaired generally sell for a third less than a normal car of that type.

They should have disclosed it was a repaired insurance write off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I don't understand why you think it would have been repaired to an insurance approved level
    Well that's what I was told by the people at Autotrader. Is this not the case then?

Thanks for both your replies.

Well I contacted the seller, who said he didn't know about this situation (it was repaired 2 years before he'd had it), he asked me what I would like him to do, and I asked him giving me back a substantial wedge of cash. So the final amount I paid was indeed about a third less than the normal price, and on balance I'm satisfied. Instead of buying the nice car I thought I was getting, I've effectively paid much less for a much less nice one.
    Last edited by mrmadcats; 04-04-09 at 13:21.

The comment on the log book does mean it was a cat c write off that has been repaired and then had a vosa vehicle identity check.The vic test does not check the quality of any repairs,all it does is confirm that the vehicle being presented for the check is the car that was written off.Therfore there is no way of saying how well a car has been repaired other than to have an engineer check it.
    I have just rebuilt and returned a cat c car to the road and there was no structual damage what so ever,just bolt on panel damage.
    As you say the only real issue may be that the car is worth less as it is a cat c.
    Last edited by Loony; 04-04-09 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverV6 View Post
    For a 2 year old car to be written off as "uneconomical to repair" must mean heavy damage.
    I would have to disagree with you on this.It depends on the type and value of car whan new.Lets say it was a 9000 when brand new corsa.
    Two years later it will be worth a lot less.
    Then take into account that insurance companies do not often repair cars beyond 65% of its value.
    Now add parts and the all importent labour costs and it is very easy to see a car written off.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverV6 View Post
    I think that the resale of the car when you come to do it will be hard.
    It should not be hard to sell as long as it is valued as a cat c and advertised as such.This is why the op should make sure that he paid the right amount for the car now.

The only thing that puzzles me is, why didn't the OP see the V5 document when viewing the vehicle? Parts of the document have to be completed at the time of sale; the main part going to the DVLA for change of keeper, and part is kept by the new keeper. So, where was the document at the time of sale? If I were looking to buy a used vehicle and the V5 could not be produced, I would back away regardless of how good the car appeared to be.

Snowball, I saw the V5, and filled in the inside page, but the damning evidence is listed under 'notes' on the front of it. Without knowing where to look, nor thinking that there could be a problem (having been led to believe there wasn't any problem in that area), I simply didn't see it. The seller told me that he had not seen it either, and that he'd bought the car from a dealer without being told about that problem. I can't say whether this is true or not, but I got a reasonable 'deal' in the end, either way.

It is stories like this that makes that "Text Service" seem very good value for money. It only costs 3 plus the price if the Text, and they let you know if the car is stolen, cloned, damage repaired or still has finance outstanding on it, gives you peace of mind when buying a second hand car.
    Cheers, Smudger.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    It is stories like this that makes that "Text Service" seem very good value for money. It only costs 3 plus the price if the Text, and they let you know if the car is stolen, cloned, damage repaired or still has finance outstanding on it, gives you peace of mind when buying a second hand car.
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Im not to keen on these services.I prefer to pay more for a proper hpi check.
    Also a car will only show up as written off etc if it went through the insurance.So it is always best to have someone inspect the car if you do not know what your looking for.