Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap car tyres

Default Cheap car tyres

Todays RAC Motoring news has an interesting topic. Tested against Continental brand, the cheap tyres came out badly. At a braking test from 50mph, the worst tyre was the Linglong; the Linglong still travelling at 27.8 mph at the point where the Continental had stopped. There's a moral in there somewhere.

Is Linglong an abbreviation for "lingerlonger"? Ha,ha!

So then it is Linglong for the Dingdong!!

Must be about 25yrs ago that Goodyear introduced the Grand Prix-S tyre. It was proven in a number of tests to assist in shorter stopping distances than the 'average' tyre. (27ins from 30mph, which was used in TV ads as being the width of a pram.) Some insurance companies even gave up to 30% discount if you had a set of five fitted to your car.

I think it's the same with well known brands, Some would perform better than others.

Something I would be interested in is to see test results of the ageing effect on tyres, Some cars that do low mileage might still have the same tyres on for 8 years or more and it would be good to see how this effects their performance as the rubber hardens with age.

One of the main causes of tyre degradation is the Ozone in the atmosphere, and sunlight. Modern tyres have additives in the rubber mix to reduce this effect (usually indicated by marbling of the sidewalls. But I would not risk using a tyre after it was 5 or 6 years old, regardless of low mileage.

Something a lot of people fail to realise is that no matter what you do to your car, it is all transfered to the road via four small patches of rubber.
    Tyres shouldn't be scrimped on. I recently replaced the budget tyres my car came with with a full set of Toyo Proxes - not a perticularly expensive tyre but one that is highly regarded. The difference to my car, especially in the wet, is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by benedwards64 View Post
    Something a lot of people fail to realise is that no matter what you do to your car, it is all transfered to the road via four small patches of rubber.Tyres shouldn't be scrimped on. I recently replaced the budget tyres my car came with with a full set of Toyo Proxes - not a perticularly expensive tyre but one that is highly regarded. The difference to my car, especially in the wet, is unbelievable.
    This is a point I have made on several occasions. For over 4 years I have stayed with Michelin Energy tyres, and before that Continental.
    I also change my tyres at a minimum of between 3 and 4 mm tread. This practice was vindicated when I read a report of tests carried out by Mira and Continental, where it was shown that braking ability began to deteriorate after going below 3 mm of minimum tread. Resistance to slide on bends also becomes affected.

Not many people realise that when travelling on a motorway in heavy rain, each tyre, through its treads, has to disperse something like a gallon of water plus per second in order for the tyres to maintain a grip on the road surface.

When you consider that the lives of your passengers and yourself, not to mention other road users, rely heavily on those precious 4 spots for road contact, the real cheap tyres are the best premium tyres available.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    One of the main causes of tyre degradation is the Ozone in the atmosphere, and sunlight. Modern tyres have additives in the rubber mix to reduce this effect (usually indicated by marbling of the sidewalls. But I would not risk using a tyre after it was 5 or 6 years old, regardless of low mileage.
    I totally agree. My wifes car had a cet of Michelins on from new and at about 5 years I had them changed because of the sidewall deterioration. They still had 6-7 mm of tread on them due to her low mileage.

Exclamation Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by RoverV6 View Post
    My wifes car had a cet of Michelins on from new and at about 5 years I had them changed because of the sidewall deterioration. They still had 6-7 mm of tread on them due to her low mileage.
    That may have had nothing to do with "Ozone" or "sunlight" but more the case of "kerbing"

Neither of us "Kerb" our tyres or wheels.The deterioration was crazy paving done by sunlight.