Thread: Ford Focus Engine System Fault

Question Ford Focus Engine System Fault

I have recently bought a 2005 Ford Focus TDCi 1.8. In the first week it developed a fault with a loss of power and the 'Engine System Fault' warning light came on. The dealer fitted a new fuel filter but it lasted less than 24 hours before breaking down again with the same problem, except that this time the engine cut out completely and I couldn't restart it and had to be towed home. A local garage eventually managed to start the engine after priming it using a hand pump, there were no error codes retained when he ran diagnostics. The car then ran for six weeks, but I broke down again with the same fault. This time my recovery guy managed to start the car by turning it over and giving the throttle plenty! Again, no error codes. Any ideas anyone?

It would be handy to know what the fault code was when the dealer changed the filter. This will hold the answer.
    If the fuel pipes have been checked to ensure there are no air leaks then a diagnostic is needed using live data to see what the fuel pressure is both at cranking and running.
    The symptoms do point towards a possible high pressure fuel pump problem. As these are very expensive, you must eliminate every other possibility first.
    If you bought the car through a dealer, garage or trader, take it back and get them to fix it. They have to under the Sale of Goods Act (there are many posts on here - use the search function)

I think the codes were P001 and P006!? Does that point to the same problem?

Thanks!

P001 - fuel volume regulator control open circuit - regulator solenoid fault.
    P006 - fuel shut off valve circuit low - short to earth or faulty shut off valve.

These components are part of the pump. Don't know if you can buy them separately. You can on Peugeots so may be available. They definitely would cause your symptoms.