Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petrol in diesel cars

Quote Originally Posted by dazid1 View Post
    All it would take is for the pump to say the word diesel or petrol when you pulled the thing out.
    We are caravanners and, whilst on a campsite a couple of years ago, the fellow on an adjoining pitch showed opened his tank flap, and a recorded voice said, "this is a diesel car". It was a Honda, and I initially thought it was pert of the car's technology. In actual fact, it was a small device which the owner had himself attached to the inside of the filler cover.
    I have yet to locate one of these units. They are a good idea, and I would fit one.

Update: I have just been on Google. This warning device for fitting inside the filler cover of a diesel car is advertised at Halfords, price 6.99 but, of course, is not available at the moment.
    Last edited by Snowball; 01-04-09 at 18:36. Reason: location of warning device.

Snowball That warning device is available i saw one last year at Stewart Longton caravans in Blackpool

When diesel went from the stand-alone lorry patch to the standard pumps at the forecourts, a local garage would not start the diesel pump until the motorist had been to the pay-desk and confirmed that they had a diesel car. Saved a lot of later problems.

When diesel pumps were first placed alongside petrol pumps, I seem to recall that a few service stations had diesel pumps which emitted a "this is a diesel pump" when the nozzle was lifted from its holder.
    Extending this feature, or some other appropriate differential signal, would have been a good idea.

Perhaps this fell by the wayside, like so many other simple but helpful acts of service, as a result of the modern "take the money with as little hassle as possible" attitude.

I think the worst attitude I met at a service station kiosk was a girl, whilst chewing on a wad of gum with a zombie look in her eyes, who just pointed at the cardholder with, "put your pin in", followed by "take it out", then not one more word.

When I bought my first car, a Mini, I drove into my local service station, pulled up at the pump and waited for the attendant. While I was waiting, a lad came from the kiosk and offered to wash my windscreen for me. I told him it was unnecessary. The next minute he was round the front of the car opening the bonnet. I jumped out and went round to ask what he was doing with my car. 'Checking your oil and water' came the reply. I was somewhat nonplussed by this, but let him carry on. After he had put a drop of oil and refilled my windscreen washer bottle, he closed the bonnet and wandered off. Next minute he came back with a pressurised canister and checked my tyre pressures. After I had been served with petrol, I asked what I owed for the 'service' and was told it was all free. I felt a little guilty because of the way I had initially reacted and offered the lad 1. He refused it with the explanation that they did it for all their customers. As Dylan wrote: "The times they are a-changing!"

I remember as a child we were on holiday in north Wales and my dad pulled into a fuel station for petrol, The guy on the pump filled it up and my dad paid him. About 5 minutes later we had broken down up the road. The kind Welsh chap had filled it with diesel.

My dad had words with the man and he was not interested but, luckily the AA man made them take the diesel back and replace it with petrol.

I think we broke down about half a dozen times after that due to all the dirt from the diesel blocking either the fuel pump or jets in the carb.

Around the beginning of the 90's. we were touring France in our campervan. It had recently had a new exhaust and, from it's sound, I felt that it might be leaking at a joint. As it was a Peugeot-based vehicle, I looked for a Peugeot dealership.
    I found one; an immense glass-fronted building, with red-painted floor in the service workshop.
    The manager told me to park the camper on a lift, and leave the engine running. A mechanic came over with a work trolley, raised the lift and did a thorough check of the exhaust.
    He explained that it was the newness of the system, and that an internal coating of carbon would eventually quieten it (which is what happened).

I asked how much I had to pay. The manager's reply was nothing to pay, his pleasure, and bon voyage.
    We felt we had gone back in time; when giving a little help did not necessarily require payment.

Yes, Rolebama, times sure have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by dazid1 View Post
    All it would take is for the pump to say the word diesel or petrol when you pulled the thing out.
    I have said the same thing! I did buy a gizmo from Halfords for 5 that sticks to the inside of the fuel flap. When it senses light, it says the words 'Diesel' three times. It's made for Dopey Ltd, if this helps anyone.

Following in to the other point - 2 litres is neither here nor there. Just fill up and carry on. If two litres was the only fuel in the tank, it may be a problem, but 2 litres topped up with another 40 or so is minimal....

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but lots of people are still visiting it. Find out more about our expert advice on what to do if you put petrol in a diesel car.