Thread: Ford Focus Rear Lights Not Working

Default Ford Focus Rear Lights Not Working

I have a 03 plate 1.8 Focus. Approx 1 x week ago both of the brake lights (excluding the top centre brake light) stopped working. Shortly after the rear tail lights stopped working. I have checked the bulbs both of which are fine. This morning I re-seated the bulbs (both are positioned correctly) and the brake lights have started working again however the rear tail lights are still not working.
    All other electrics within the car appear to be working OK.

Any help/suggested testing etc would be appreciated.

As far as I am aware, both rear lights are on different fused circuits, with seperate earths. They are circuited with the front side lights, so for them both to be affected is quite unusual. Have you changed the bulbs at all, if so, I would guess they are the wrong ones.

Thanks for the suggestion. The bulbs are the correct type. I managed to finally fix the fault this afternoon. Here is what I found:
    The power connector which forms part of the moulded bulb holder was at fault on both sides. The plug has 3 pins, one for the supply to the bulb filament for the rear light, one for the break light filament and the other which is the ground. The pin which supplies the power to the rear light was not seated correctly. It should sit slightly lower (towards the assembly housing) than the other two pins. I was able to adjust using a pair of small pliers. As the pin was pushed back to its home position you can feel a definite click as it locks into position. My suspicion is that they were never assembled correctly and with years of road use (speed bumps etc) they have worked their way out of contact thus creating an open circuit.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for coming back with the solution.

Default Ford Focus tail lights not working

I've got the exact same problem on my Ford Focus. Reading the above replies, i've opened and cleaned the tail light units,and checked all the fittings and bulbs are where they are meant to be. Unfortunately it hasnt helped and now my right rear break light isn't working either. I've also checked the relevant fuses and they are all Ok. Some advice would me much appreciated...
    Last edited by siddhesh_raute; 24-10-09 at 20:33.

Talking It's the BULB HOLDER

If, in 2013, you are looking up this problem then I have had the same issue.

The rear right tail light was not coming on despite the break light coming on from the same bulb! Checked all fuses, bulb, wiring loom and removed battery to reset computer. No luck.

Asked a local dealer, he suggested a new 7 bulb holder for the tail light. It clicked off and the new one on within seconds, bulb back in and both break and tail lights now working. Must be just wear and tear inside the bulb holder.

CHANGE THE BULB HOLDER! 7. NO FUSS.