Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 206SW 1.4 HDi Timing Belt Life

Default Peugeot 206SW 1.4 HDi Timing Belt Life

Anyone know life of timing belt on Peugeot 206SW 1.4 HDi? 6 years old this year only done 23K but 15 years ago my Micra belt snapped at 25K when about 6 years old, with my Peugeot 106 Diesel Peugeot claimed their belts do not deteriorate with age but i changed it at 50K 6 year old as I dared not believe them.

Safest way is to have replaced to prevent being in a pill of poo should it break

your micra snapped at 25K? that's way early. Have you owned the car from new? Have you been driving it crazily? (trackdays?)

I think you should change it now as it's more than 5 year old already and it's approaching 30k.
    If it's less than 5 year old and u drive rather conservatively, 30K should be ok for your 206. But there's no gurantee as I firmly believe cars nowadays are NOT BUILT TO LAST, especially french cars and including Vaux and Ford.

I would have changed it before now. I don't know what they recommend but I wouldn't go more than 5yrs or 50,000 miles on any cambelt. I would also change the water pump and any relevant tensioners.

Recommended is 144,000 miles or 10 years if on 12,000 mile intervals.
    It goes up to 150,000 miles/10 years if on 20,000 mile intervals.

I a;ways recommend 60,000 miles or 6 years for all belts except Alfa twin sparks which must be 36,000 miles/3 years or it will die.

I had Micra from almost new, done 25K in 6 years, was told the belt could have perished with age but when changed they said water pump could have caused it and changed it they said but could not provide old parts, they also shorted out electrics, not giving them another chance.
    On my 106XND Peugeot said our belts don't perish, I didn't believe them and changed at 50K 5 years as it was cheap and easy to do, fitter said no sign of wear.
    Peugeot have said 144K or 10 years on 1.4 HDi and last year when Peugeot recharged air con I asked mechanic about it, he looked at auxilary belt and said if this is original it's like new so expect cam belt to be similar. It's 2 months off 7 year old, 24K and I only do 1,200 miles a year so am going to risk it to 8 years keeping my fingers crossed, I am told it is pig of a job that is why expensive to do.
    I am not a boy racer now so think it's a fair gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Contax View Post
    I asked mechanic about it, he looked at auxilary belt and said if this is original it's like new so expect cam belt to be similar. I am told it is pig of a job that is why expensive to do.
    How your 'mechanic' can tell the state of the cam belt simply by looking at the auxiliary belt and without inspecting it, is madness.
    Ford Fiestas use this identical engine and I have been to a failed tensioner at just 23,000 miles. By around 90,000 miles these belts are beginning to slacken due to stretch and loose belts break. The tensioners show signs of wear where the sealed bearing starts to leak evidenced by brown staining.

Replacement of the belt in your car has a recommended time of 2.60 hours. It is very easy and straightforward and any experienced mechanic would expect to do this job in around 1.5 hours. A Gates timing belt kit with new tensioner, belt etc should cost you less than £100. Hardly an 'expensive' timing belt job. This sounds like price bumping up.

Hi Hometune

Last year Peugeot Dealer said £370 + VAT or £71 for belt kit so I asked at village garage that does MOT and they said about £285 labour + parts which made me think Peugeot may be better option as chance is they are more used to this engine, it has even made me think of another car as this has not had anything changed other than oil and filters so will soon need timing belt, discs, pads, exhaust and what ever else crops up, not much competition out in north lincolnshire sticks, If prices were more reasonable round here like you quote I would not be thinking twice. What is going rate for labour per hour today?

Small local garage North Lincs should be up to £50 an hour plus the kit at £100. No more than £250 all in.
    In London, well, I hate to think.....

£50 an hour is reasonable for a garage, at that price I would be looking at getting it done as it is a good car and not many other cars as good for carrying my mobiity scooter so I would rather keep it. Are you a stand alone mechanic or part of a chain as there used to be a service called Hometune that came out with to repair motors at customers address years ago when I lived in west yorks. I had a great mechanic in lancashire by god do I miss him now, I regret moving as this area seems to be a dead end now.