Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi A4 Brake Failure Problem

Unhappy Time to trade in indeed

Yeah I also am on my next problem. the EMS light has come on. Audi manual- go to dealer. I instead have just ordered a VAGCOM cable from China for 3.65 (ebay) and will test it out. But in the short term I want shot of it. Once the problem is resolved I will be selling also.

M.

What was the fix? Did it work?

Im a tech at audi, give me faults and symptoms i might be able to help.
    Notice to all; never buy an Audi platform vehicle with a Multitronic gearbox they have far to many faults to list!

Quote Originally Posted by aprichards View Post
    I have an Audi A4, 2003, while driving and without warning the brake pedal became very hard to press as if the servo had stopped working, exactly the same syptom as when he engine is not running. The fault is intermittent and very dangerous. Has anyone had this experience and if so how was it resolved.
    I Google searched and came up with this forum which I have now joined to relay my experience .
    My car is an A4 Avant quattro 2.5tdi, 2002. It has just clocked up 89,000 miles. It has full dealer service history. Just before its most recent service last week I expeienced the same terrifying brake loss as described in this forum - it happened to me twice, once at low speed when parking at home, and again when approaching a T junction...which grabbed my attention as you can imagine. What happened was that on first application of te brake pedal everything felt fine, then came off the brakes, then when i went back on for final brake to bring vehicle to a halt there was no servo at all. It was like having a block of wood under the pedal. Luckily there was no car in front and by giving it all I had got I brought the car to a halt as the front wheels went over the give way white line .
    I do have some mechanical knowledge, and have a classic car which has no servo, so knew exactly what the pedal felt like. It was very clearly NOT a "soft pedal" or "increased pedal travel" ...the symptoms were as described elsewhere here. After the incident, the brakes worked as normal.
    Bear with me please!
    The car had already been booked into the dealer so I called them and described this fault, and mentioned the RAC Forum postings on this subject.
    On checking the car in I went through the whole thing again with the Service desk asking them to check the servo.
    They handed me the usual service paperwork and asked me to sign, which i did, then gave me another sheet to sign which they said was for some "recall work" which I would not have to pay for. I asked waht this was and was told "don't worry, it is not a safety issue, it is simply to clean out the plenum chamber" .....everyone reading this still with me???...I then asked what did they mean by "plenum chamber " as I was thinking they meant air intake or similar, and they told me that it was the area under the battery on the bulkhead that sometimes fills with water if drain holes blocked and it needed cleaning....
    Fast forward to collecting the car:-
    They went through the invoice covering all the items which included new rear discs and pads which I knew were badly worn. Having gone through everything , I was staggered that they had not mentioned the brake fault, so I asked what they had done about it. I was told that everything had been checked and no fault found. At this point I admit that I did start to get rather irritated and asked them if they were absolutely sure that the car was 100% safe to drive, and they assured me that it was. They then proceeded to lecture me about the rear barkes and how that the fact that the pads were very worn could have caused these symptoms - so I asked to speak with the mechanic (sorry, I mean technician) , as I knew that pad wear, however severe, could not have produced these symptoms - more pedal travel yes, or soft pedal, or even longer stopping distance, but not NO SERVO!- he confirmed that he had checked everything , and he was happy with the car, he had checked the vacuum pipes and so on. He did however listen to what I had to say and was going to look on the Audi computer to see if similar faults had been recorded.Have not heard back
    Since the service, and the plenum chamber cleaning, I have done about 250 miles troublefree.
    So the question is, am adding 2+2 and making 25, or is this plenum chamber cleaning recall linked to the servo failure scenario and they are keeping quiet about it??
    The problem is that as always it is a case of your word against theirs. I am in my late 40's, drive about 20,000 miles a year, and into cars, own a classic car, have raced classic cars, and do much of my own maintenance on my classic. I do not hold out to be an expert but I do know the difference when it comes to describing brake 'failure' or problems.

I guarantee you the recall has nothing to do with brake failure, all that we do on the recall is check the drain tube is not blocked under the battery. Should it be blocked the only complaint that you would have is that the N/S (passenger side) interior carpet is wet!
    This being due to the water level rising and entering the vehicle through the pollen filter.

Ok - thanks for that.
    But can you shed any light on this apparent servo failure??

The only thing im aware of is when there was a recall on the early A3's and '8D' chassis A4's which was on the servo pipe all the joints became brittle/cracked and had to be replaced by flexible rubber pipe.
    If you live in the midlands im more than happy to take a look for you?

Hello fellow A4 owners today I got the quote to repair the multitronic control unit. a mere $4,500 plus parts ( about 1600 pounds) Its a 2003 model with 134ks and in good condition worth about 6000 pounds so I dont want to spend the money on this lemon. Is there any other option Paul

In regards to the power brakes my problem was a split servo hose between the engine and the bulkhead where it goes to the electric servo pump. Thats why the fault seems intermitent because the electric pump will provide you with one stop only.

Paul

i have a problem with my audi a4 2002 abs warning light staying on traction control light is on also . was told by local garage that this was the switch on the abs unit that failed (in relation to the fault code that came up) but this has been replaced but not fixed the problem. any ideas, as i have been told that the whole abs unit will need replaced