Thread: footwell dampness ford streetka

Default footwell dampness ford streetka

I have a 2006 Ford Streetka. Recently I noticed that when lifting the passenger mat to hoover that the carpet was wet. I dried it out and put newspaper there. It seemed to be ok for maybe a week and then I noticed that the paper was soaking again. I am not sure if it has been dry only because I only travel app 2 miles to and from work and possibly the problem was worse at the weekend when I was using the car more.

Car has been into garage for mot and service and they charged me 15 for checking the fault but did not get to the bottom of it(probably not a very detailed check!) while it was in for it's 3rd service and 1st mot.

My paperwork shows
    *checked pollen filter - dry
    *checked air con drains
    *no sign of water ingress at time of check

Can anyone advise on any other problems that it is likely to be or is it likely to be one of the above and they have just not checked it out properly?!

Also could I do some checking myself and what would I be looking out for?

I am quite confident that water is not getting in to the vehicle from a leak around door as the carpet is only wet in an area in middle of carpet just about 6 inches in front of passenger seat - not around door or at front of footwell near dash

Any advice gratefully received!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaz4473 View Post
    I have a 2006 Ford Streetka. Recently I noticed that when lifting the passenger mat to hoover that the carpet was wet. I dried it out and put newspaper there. It seemed to be ok for maybe a week and then I noticed that the paper was soaking again. I am not sure if it has been dry only because I only travel app 2 miles to and from work and possibly the problem was worse at the weekend when I was using the car more.

Car has been into garage for mot and service and they charged me 15 for checking the fault but did not get to the bottom of it(probably not a very detailed check!) while it was in for it's 3rd service and 1st mot.

My paperwork shows
    *checked pollen filter - dry
    *checked air con drains
    *no sign of water ingress at time of check

Can anyone advise on any other problems that it is likely to be or is it likely to be one of the above and they have just not checked it out properly?!

Also could I do some checking myself and what would I be looking out for?

I am quite confident that water is not getting in to the vehicle from a leak around door as the carpet is only wet in an area in middle of carpet just about 6 inches in front of passenger seat - not around door or at front of footwell near dash

Any advice gratefully received!!!
    I had this problem with my fiesta, and found it was the pollen filter clogged up with leaves and other debris, cleared that and hey presto it was dry after and has been dry ever since. But you said you checked yours and it was ok.

Whatever it is I hope you find out and rectify it. Good luck

I had a ford ka in a few months ago with the drivers side foot well getting damp. the problem with that one was a small hole in the sealant at the back of the engine department, below the grill by the wiper arms.
    hope this helps
    also check the engine water level, has sometimes water can leak from the heater radiator, but normally this smell like hot anti freeze

Thanks very much for the input to both of you.

I was lucky enough to have someone i could ask to lift the carpet as I did not know how to do that and underneath the felt is soaking and I am told it needs to be stripped and dried out and then it is going to be checked to see where the problem lies.

It is definitely just the passenger side and was told it could just be a seal not doing it's job or something not sealed correctly.

What you say could be spot on with my problem as the trim was taken off at the base of the windscreen and near the pollen filter it was pointed out that a line of sealant seems to be not uniform along the line it is running and could be the problem if there is a small hole

Appreciate the hints and will report back when I find out where the problem is coming from.

Default Ford Ka with air conditioning

Hi, if your KA has air conditioning, the drain pipe can become blocked. I found a simple fix for this which only means lifting a bit of the carpet. There are good insutructions with pictures at www.pb4kn.co.uk/ka_leak.html

Worked well for me.

Cheers

I have clicked on the link and it's very clear on what to do. Unfortunately for me I did not get to the bottom of the problem and ended up selling my car!
    Hopefully this information will help others though

I had the same problem with my '99 Focus, I never really resolved the problem but put it down to sealent at the base of the front windscreen. It only ever seemed to happen for me in driving rain after being parked over night.