Thread: Vauxhall astra - power loss

Default Vauxhall astra - power loss

It has been recently reported (Daily Mail 17th January) that certain Vauxhall diesel engined cars have suffered "Power Loss" with the EMS switching to "Get You Home Mode". From what I can recall this is effecting Vectra's & Sigma's manufactured / registered in the late 1990's

I recently experienced a similar problem with a 2006 registered Astra 1.4litre diesel powered Estate

Driving to Dover the engine suddenly lost all power - quite scary whilst in the outside lane of the M23 - but continued to run.

A breakdown engineer was called who suggested it was something to do with the EDG Valve. Incidentally the engineers computer could not find the problem although the warning light on the dashboard display remained "on".

The problem corrected itself and the car ran smothly for the rest of a 2000 mile trip through France.

There is obviously a "safety" question here. What would have happened if I'd been in heavy traffic ???

Has anybody experienced silmilar problems
    Last edited by Charles Sadler; 22-01-09 at 10:08.

Usually the EGR valve is one of the culprit's with this type of fault. Unfortunately, Vauxhall have had this problem for years and don't seem to have done much about it. The reason the engineer could not get the fault code will be that his equipment is not up to date. On your car the operating system is entirely different from previous models and requires new software to access it.
    Even if the light is out now, a code will still be stored in the memory. If you can find a local garage with good equipment, you should be able to find the faulty component fairly easily.

Default Thanks

Thankyou HOMETUNE for your input.

These problems were aired in a a recent edition of BBC Watchdog and in a recent follow-up article in The Daily Mail (17th January).

The suggestion was that this fault was confined to 2.2 litre Vectra's and Signum's of post 2003 build and some Zafia's of post 2005 production.

As a result I outlined the problem on the BBC Watchdog Blog............

My input was REJECTED by the blog moderator, saying my "allegation" required further investigation.

Default Fault acknowledged

Thought I'd update you on this.

The car was serviced by Vauxhall a couple of weeks back and when the problem was pointed out to them they arranged for the IMMEDIATE CHANGE OF THE VALVE which they acknowledged was KNOWN TO BE SUBJECT TO FAULTS.

No charge was made !!

An update for you. Last week, there was a problem with an EGR valve on a Vectra 1.9DTH so I went to get one.
    There was a backlog of outstanding orders for these EGR valves. On backorder was a total of 1,200
    Buy a Vauxhall at your peril...

Says everything doesn't it.............