Thread: VW front suspension console bushes.

Default VW front suspension console bushes.

During recent routine service, these bushes were found to be slightly split. This resulted in new brackets being fitted, at some 38 per bracket for parts alone.
    I assumed that these brackets must have been what I refer to as wishbones and, as there was no indication that wheel alignment had been carried out afterwards, I emailed the service dept to ask if this had been done.
    They replied that it had not, and that VW had confirmed that it was not necessary.

This did surprise me, and I am now wondering exactly how these console bushes/brackets fit into the front suspension such that re-alignment is not required.

Not knowing what car you have but im guessing its a golf or polo,the bushes are fitted into a housing/console and fit on the back of the front lower wishbones, the bushes can(depending on model) be bought separatly from the console,but the extra labour time counter acts the saving from buying the whole console as the old bushes need pressing out and the new pressing in.
    I would agree there should be no reason to worry about the wheel alignment after they have been replaced, there is no major disruption of the suspension, the new bushes and consoles fit straight back to the original positions as there is no room for adjustment on these.
    Although I would reccomend getting the alignment checked regularly due to poor road conditions - potholes speedbumps etc.
    Its just a shame they obviously havent explained the job to you better.

It's a VW Touran. The wheel alignment was checked in April, when new tyres were fitted.

Don't quote me on this as I will need to check, but I think the Touran and the Golf use similar if not the same suspension, which means you dont need to worry.

I must admit to being a bit intrigued about this post. If as Snowball thinks, it was the bottom wishbones that were replaced, unless they failed immediately, surely, the tracking would be affected. I have access to tracking equipment, so check mine, and any other car I do any front end work on, and have yet to find fitting a new component where tracking is not affected.

I agree with you, Rolebama. However, the service dept said, via email, that they had verified with VW that wheel alignment wasn't necessary. And, of course, I have retained a printout of the email.

The car is subject to a service and maintenance contract with VW, so any failure on their part to do the job properly would only bring the vehicle back for rectification at their expense.

The whole operation (including the brake fluid change) would have come to 332 so, if wheel alignment had been necessary, it would be false economy not to have done that at the time.