Thread: Dartford Toll - go Blackwall tunnel instead?

Default Dartford Toll - go Blackwall tunnel instead?

Hi
    I do a weekly commute between Tunbridge Wells and Cambridge. It's not paying that hacks me off so much, it's rather that every Friday evening after a long week at work queuing for the toll adds an extra hour to my journey, just so the government can take 1:50 off me (a 1 hour wait just to pay 1:50 is out of all proportion - it's mad). I usually end up at the back end of the queue (shortly after the M11 junction) at 5:30pm-ish and finally get to the toll at 6:45-ish.
    I'm wondering whether to carry straight on down the M11 and do Blackwall tunnel.
    I've often done Blackwall Tunnel at other times of day for London City Airport but not through London on a Friday night.
    What do others think - would it be even worse than queuing at the Dartford Toll or is it worth a shot?

Default Petition against Dartford Toll

People may be interested to sign the petition against the Dartford Toll at
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dartxx/#detail

Smile It *IS* quicker to go through London than Dartford Toll

I tried it last night - it was actually quicker in the Friday rush hour to go through London, the Blackwall tunnel than queue for Dartford Toll for an hour from the M11 junction. Not a lot quicker - but quicker! I'm not bothered about the 1.50 but I certainly will start going through London now instead of sitting on the M25.

I too would urge others to sign up to the petition - the congestion caused by the Dartford Toll in rush hour is insane - just so the treasury can collect revenue.

The problem with the toll bothes is that they cause everyone to stop! creating the classic bottle neck, toll roads are usually privately owned hence the toll for maintenance, but considering the trouble they cause its about time the boothes were taken away and the road tax we pay was used,many car owners now pay a small fortune in road tax and fuel tax, surely there is enough to cover the cost of a few toll roads around the county, its another government cop out, labour and tory alike