Thread: When can I renew my tax disc/VED?

Default When can I renew my tax disc/VED?

My tax disc expires on 31/12/08. The thing is, I will be going abroad on 21/12 and not returning until New Year's Day and leaving my car in an airport car park, so when I return, at this rate my current tax disc will have expired and so it would be illegal for me to drive home with it on New Year's Day.

When is the earliest I can apply for a new one without having to pay for the month of December which obviously I already have covered?

I ask this because I looked at applying online just now and entered my details with a view to getting a new one now for the 01/01, but it told me if I got one now it would start from the 1st of this month (November), and last until 31/10/09, which would be a waste of money as I already have a valid VED until 31/12 and I want one for another whole year!

Sorry if it's obvious or a silly question, it's the first time I've had to renew a tax disc.

According to my reminder, you have to renew within the last 14 days of your current disc, so anytime from the 17th should be OK.

You can do it online from 5th of December. Just did mine for my car on 5th Nov for a start date of 1st Dec.
    Last edited by Hometune; 14-11-08 at 14:03.

Thank your for your help guys, much appreciated!