Thread: Ford Focus Engine warning light

Default Ford Focus Engine warning light

Hi, I have a problem with my 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec ti-vct (44k miles). Whilst driving, usually at constant speed, I sometimes get a slight judder from the engine. This then causes the engine warning light to come on and stay on. There is no lost of power or any other noticeable problems and after a few seconds the judder will just stop and everything goes back to normal, except the light stays on usually for a day or two, then that turns off. This problem seems to be getting more frequent.

I have used a OBD2 fault reader and got the code P2303 "ignition coil b primary ctrl circ low".
    Any ideas what might be causing the problem?

P2303 this is our very old friend the coil. If you read previous posts on here you will find this is probably the most common fault

Thanks Hometune, after reading other threads I had suspected as much.
    Is it worth getting the leads & plugs done at the same time?

Do you have any idea as to costs for this at a dealer or independent?

Is it an easy job which I could try myself?

You can get the coil from Halfords, Andrew Page, Unipart, Ford Unique and just about any half decent factors. Cost about 35 + vat.
    Have a look and you will see it is very easy to replace, just don't mix up the leads.
    If the car is serviced regularly the plugs should not need replacing but always a good idea to fit new leads, not cheap ones though.

Default Update

Hi, did you ever sort this problem out, if so what was it, as I have the same error code on the same model Focus and am experiencing same problems.

Thanks in advance

I replaced the coil, (~30 from Camberley Auto Factors) and so far so good, car is as good as new. I Didn't need to change the plugs or leads.
    Changing the coil was straight forward and worth a try if you're having the same problems.