Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Astra problems

Talking Vauxhall Astra problems

I have a 1993 1.4 Vauxhall Astra which had a full service in July 2006, but a couple of problems have recently occured (see below).

Firstly my engine cuts out randomly when I am driving. Usually this happens within 10 minutes or so of starting, so not sure if it is to do with the cold. Also sometimes takes a while to start the engine when cold - 5 minutes or so, sometimes less. Would appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem could be and if you think it needs to be checked at a garage.

I have noticed the sound coming from the exhaust which sounds very rough. Difficult to describe but in human terms like if you had a very sore throat. The exhaust is relatively new (bought a couple of years ago).

Finally a very simple problem no doubt, but one of my front lights appears dimmer than the other. Is this a case of getting new light bulbs? If so will Halfords fit for you or is it best getting done at a garage.

I would be grateful for any advice on these matters.

More info required-when it cuts out does it immediately restart? Also when you say it wont start from cold does it turn over (crank) or is it dead on key?
    If one of your bulbs is dimmer it could be the bulb or it could be a poor earth hard to say without inspecting the vehicle but the easy option would be to replace the bulb first,I believe Halfords will fit the bulb for you.

HTH

Matt

Smile Vauxhall Astra problems

Hi Matt,

When it cuts out I have to switch off the engine and turn on again and restart.

When starting from cold it does turn (crank) and I have to keep pressing on the accelerator until it starts to run.

Regards,

Derek

I would suggest you have the vehicle read for fault codes as you may have two separate faults or one fault but you need to see if any fault codes are stored.

Default Astra Faults

I had a similar fault with an old astra I had. Is your an injection 1.4 or not? mine was a carb model and it turned out that a valve like flap on the air filter had broken off and once replaced with a used one from a breakers no more problem stalling. also is yours automatic choke?

Thumbs up Astra Faults

if it has a manual choke sometimes the cable goes slack not leaving enough petrol getting to the carb/injectors this also created a stalling problem but was quite an easy DIY fix with help of haynes manual.
    Hope it helps

Default Astra Faults

With Regards to the exhaust could just be a couple of loose baffles in the back box. pop along to an exhaust center and they should give you an indication once they get it up on a ramp as what the problem could be.

Default vauxhall astra 1.7td

HI i have an astra 1.7td whilst driving its been cutting and now it just doesn't start. Even when i turn the ignition, the engine light doesn't come on and niether does the heat lamp light. Can you help

Default 1.4 Astra Montana Stalling

My astra 1.4 stalls at most junctions
    help

Quote Originally Posted by mohamk View Post
    HI i have an astra 1.7td whilst driving its been cutting and now it just doesn't start. Even when i turn the ignition, the engine light doesn't come on and niether does the heat lamp light. Can you help
    i aslo hav a astra 1.7td
    mine done the same thing
    a comon fault with the astra dervs r the EDU(nt ecu) located at the rear ov the engine
    but these r a expencive part best thing to do would get some 1 with a the diognostic equipment (cost me 60)
    vauxhall want 572 with out vat but i managed to get a reconditioned 1 from ebay for 203