Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine cutting out ford focus

Default engine cutting out ford focus

hello new to this so not sure if should have added to other cutting out notice. I have a Focus (1998) and intermittently since last November it has cut out always when I'm slowing dow for a junction/traffic lights. Its usually not long after I've started the engine but NOT when the engine is cold ie driven into town nipped in the shop come out and when move off again cuts out. for some odd reason it cuts out twice or three times in a row, so junction, lights, then roundabout in relatively quick succession each time I have to restart the engine and it always does start again but after that i continue on my journey unhindered. then maybe go a couple of weeks before it happens again. I've had fuel pump blockaged checked and some 'managment software updated' but niether have cleared the problem - any ideas folks?

it may be the idle control valve , some times if you are doing short trips it can get clogged up with soot . this can cause the valve to miss read and cause stalling . its very difficult to say with out actually being with the car and i would suggest you dealer inspects it . it also could be meany other things , but from what you have said it sounds like it may be that .

hope that helps

hi Lynette
    have the exact same problem with my oo focus 1.4 Have it booked in friday to be looked at using diagnostic computer its quite dangerous when it cuts out as the steering goes heavy all of a sudden. anyway let you know how i get on I dont have too much faith in it being sorted quickly though

Hi I have had the exact problem for the past 16 months with my focus. It was cutting out when I slowed down at junctions and I had my car looked at and it had logged no errors. I then bought a vehicle speed sensor from ford for 21 and my borfriend fitted it for me and this has solved the problem. Since then (a couple of months ago) my car has not cut out once!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Default Focus cuts out when slowing down

Like most people in here my petrol 1.8 Focus sometimes cuts out when slowing down and I'm always expecting to get hit from behind when it happens at roundabouts. So whats the consensus here - does changing the vehicle speed sensor work?

Sorry just noticed theres more of us enjoying the Focus experience
    http://forum.rac.co.uk/showthread.php?t=478
    Last edited by focus_huw; 23-04-07 at 17:45.

Smile Engine cutting out

Hi there, I had the vehicle speed sensor changed and this solved the problem for me. It only cost 21 for the sensor so it is worth trying. I had the problem for 16 months from when I had bought my car. I told the garage, where I bought it from about my problem and they told me it was the way I was driving it!! Cheeky.

I've been having exactly the same issue, but it's only happened to me in the summer months when I've had my air con switched on! I haven't had any replies to my thread though...I wonder if mine could be the same problem, if so what would that have to do with the speed sensor? I'm confused. It's obviously a big probelm with focus, it 's very scary though, especially the steering going off...I dread it happening when I'm going round an island or something

Quote Originally Posted by monkey1309 View Post
    I've been having exactly the same issue, but it's only happened to me in the summer months when I've had my air con switched on! I haven't had any replies to my thread though...I wonder if mine could be the same problem, if so what would that have to do with the speed sensor? I'm confused. It's obviously a big probelm with focus, it 's very scary though, especially the steering going off...I dread it happening when I'm going round an island or something
    Hi Guys, erm ford owner, or anyone else. Do you know the actual part name and the part number so i can order it from ford.

Thanks

Default Focus FFV cutting out

Was very interested to read the cutting-out problems people are having with the Ford Focus. I have a Focus FFV 1.8 (flexifuel - can take petrol or bio ethanol ) and it's just gone back into the dealer garage today for the 4th time for the same cutting out problem. Last time they kept it for 3 weeks and replaced a part and initially it seemed to be fine and then I filled it with bio fuel and it cut out 5 times that day, including on a busy city centre bridge when I was changing lanes.

It's less than 1 year old and has been cutting out on and off since I bought it but initially I thought it was just a matter of getting used to it, having driven VW for years. Wish I'd stuck to VW. Most of my driving involves short trips morning and evening from home to my daughter's school and then on to work, less than 2 miles. The fault is intermittent and some days it's fine, and other days, it will cut out several times when I'm slowed down in traffic or taking off from being stationery in traffic or from the lights. Also cuts out when I reverse out of a parking.

The Ford dealer I bought it off has been helpful etc but the computer isn't showing a fault and they've driven it and it's never cut out.

This time, I wrote formally to the dealer and said I wanted car returned to the manufacturer and I want a replacement so Ford instructed the dealer to take it back to make sure it's the same problem again and not a new problem. An attempt to stall I assume. Apparently an "independent expert" is going to look at it tomorrow. The garage has limited experience of the FFV (they've only sold 2) so that's created problems but from the messages posted here, it seems it's a Focus problem whereas I was blaming the problem on the bio fuel.

Has anyone any experience or success with having a car replaced by the manufacturer?

I have had this problem as well recently. Diagnostic didn't reveal any faults and all hoses appear fine. I got the mechanic to clean ou the idle valve and as of today it hasn't stalled once - hope I'm not speaking too soon.