Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught speeding by a radar gun :(

Default Caught speeding by a radar gun :(

I'm sure I was caught doing approx 60-65 mph in a 40mph zone. I genuinely thought it was a national speed limit zone, as it is a two lane road and completely unbuilt up. But I later realised that the place i got caught is just before the 60pmh zone.
    There was a police officer pointing a radar gun down the road towards the traffic. Whether he was pointing it at my car i'm unsure, although i was going slightly faster than the other cars so i'm thinking I was the most likely target. As i saw him, even though i thought it was a 60mph zone, i instinctively broke to slow down to about 50mph and as i went past he gave me quite a 'dodgey' look. Then i saw the national speed limit sign!
    Anyway, i wasn't pulled over but there was a large police van parked on a side road near to him. I've been told I should have been pulled over there and then to be issued a ticket. But is there a chance that there were cameras in the police van? The police van had very small blacked out windows which i'm quite sure were all closed (it kind of made the police van look like a sort of riot van) and it didn't look like a normal mobile camera unit.
    I know i should just play the 14 day waiting game, but i would like to put my mind at rest! Does anyone have any idea what the likely situation is here? any opinions would be appreciated!

If it was a radar gun as you say... then he just needs to know you reg and then can issue a NIP later on. As you say.. 14days wait.
    the scam vans need to have their windows down to get a reading of your speed. No speed detection equipment using radar or laser can be used from behind glass. This van may have just been his and been parked up you know! so he may have zapped you.
    In my opinion... you got pinged.
    I dont get why you should pull over? Did he indicate to you to pull in? If so then yes but if not you are allowed to keep on going.
    Just wait and see
    and dont speed

He didn't make any attempt to pull me over, and there weren't any other police people down the road to do so, which is usually the case in radar gun speed traps. I'm sure it was some sort of radar gun, but if he didn't pull me over, doesn't there need to be photographic evidence to show that i was there at the time? That's why i was thinking if maybe there were cameras in the van. It did seem a bit weird for him to have a big hefty van, when a small patrol car would of done if there was just him. Maybe i'm just looking into it too much, and in denial about it lol. I hate waiting!

Default Speeding?

Quote Originally Posted by laurenf View Post
    He didn't make any attempt to pull me over, and there weren't any other police people down the road to do so, which is usually the case in radar gun speed traps. I'm sure it was some sort of radar gun, but if he didn't pull me over, doesn't there need to be photographic evidence to show that i was there at the time? That's why i was thinking if maybe there were cameras in the van. It did seem a bit weird for him to have a big hefty van, when a small patrol car would of done if there was just him. Maybe i'm just looking into it too much, and in denial about it lol. I hate waiting!
    If you get a NIP, go to www.pepipoo.co.uk.;)

They don't need to pull you over these days, to save on manpower it just takes one with the radar gun, then the ticket gets sent to you within 14 days of the offence. Its more or less the same with the fixed and portable speed cameras, its just a price we all have to pay for all this modern technology?
    Cheers, Smudger.

bit late now, but the only advice i could give is an eyesight test. If it was a 40 limit there would have been repeater signs on lampposts at intervals.

The thing that I would query is that if you thought you were in a 60mph zone, why would you 'instinctively' brake to 50mph?

I just thought they needed photographic evidence of me being there at the time, but i've just been gettin my hopes up!
    Yea I do realise that there are speed limit signs in zones above 30mph speed zones lol. Funnily, I recently have had my eyes tested and, being a young 23 year old, I have 'near perfect vision' Maybe more ignorant than blind though
    By 'instinctively', I meant because there was a police officer with a radar gun, I automatically broke without thinking because, admittedly, I do go over the speed limit at times. Though, consciously, not as much as 20mph over.
    Well just over one more week to play my little waiting game!

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    If you get a NIP, go to www.pepipoo.co.uk.;)
    Thanks! this site is great x

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    The thing that I would query is that if you thought you were in a 60mph zone, why would you 'instinctively' brake to 50mph?
    i always brake on seeing speed cameras.....
    Its something my dad instilled on me when learning with him. At stationary cameras i try to go to 5mph lower. Just to ensure that I am not caught. Its something i do. Im guessing she does the same!