Thread: Where is a Corsa fuel tank vent?

Default Where is a Corsa fuel tank vent?

I have a 1996 N reg Vauxhall Corsa Merit 1.2l C12NZ engine.
    It has a common problem of cutting out when going from running to idle, say at traffic lights. If quick enough I can prevent a complete loss by opening the throttle wide and the engine will continue to run very weakly, eventually being useable but only at high revs.
    This can be very awkward trying to negotiate other traffic.
    The Haines book talks about a fuel tank vent valve but the valve pictured in their book is in the brake servo vaccuum pipe, servo to manifold. I can only find the fuel flow and return pipes (single point fuel injection).
    The cutting out seems more common when the fuel tank is more than half full which is why I think the vent may be blocked.
    BUT WHERE IS IT ???
    any help please!

You need to have your car properly diagnosed with a scanner as there are lots of things that can cause cutting out. A sensor such as the coolant sensor could be stuck at the cold setting, a throttle switch may be faulty, or many others.

You should also note that as your car has a distributor, the problem could be the cap, rotor arm or the distributor itself. Inside it is the crankshaft sensor and these are prone to fail on older and high mileage cars. Vauxhall retail price is 210+vat so it is essential you get an accurate diagnosis.

If you do have the diagnostic check done, the scanner will show code '55', which says ECU (computer) fault if the engine is not running. If the scanner shows code '55 memory' then the distributer is more often than not the failed part.

Many thanks for your reply.
    I accept that a 'proper' diagnosis is the right way to go but there are so many reports on the internet of people with this sort of cutting out where the main dealer service dept have not found any fault (but still charged of course) so am trying to cover the more basic (and cheap) sensors etc.
    I have checked the O2 sensor and the fuel pump and changed the coolant temperature sensor.
    Ensuring the vent valve was clear and working seems the next step but I can't find it.
    When the engine cuts out there is never an orange light displayed nor would there appear to be any fault codes stored, using the shorting out the appropriate pins on the diagnostic socket.
    So before venturing to the main dealer I would like to check the fuel tank vent valve if one exists.

As the car starts again after cutting out then any possible fault code will not be logged as the ECU assumes all is okay.
    Unfortunately, the wire method of fault retrieval only determines permanent stored codes. You need live data on a scanner to help you. There are garages other than dealers who can help you, ask for a recommendation.
    Your car is fitted with a carbon canister for storing excess petrol fumes and when the revs are raised, the valve is opened by the ECU and these vapours are then burnt in the engine. This canister is behind the front wheel liner on the driver's side and a pipe goes to the manifold from it. Check it isn't split/damaged.

Default Update for info.

Thanks for your response.
    I can't find any split pipes.
    Since my last entry I have driven short and longish (20miles) journeys without any hiccoughs.
    I'm sure that it hasn't gone away .