Thread: Convert 4 to 5 seater

Default Convert 4 to 5 seater

I have a roomy 4 seater car. Can I add a seat belt in the back to carry 3 children making a total of 5? Would this be legal?

Default Extra seating

Quote Originally Posted by grandken View Post
    I have a roomy 4 seater car. Can I add a seat belt in the back to carry 3 children making a total of 5? Would this be legal?
    Very unlikely. you would have to ensure that your fitting complied with the (no doubt) very numerous regulations governing fitting of seatbelts to that particular type of vehicle. Unless the manufacturer has approved parts available I don't see how it would comply.

Depends what the car make/model is.
    Some 4 seater "sports" cars are based on 5 seat models (Honda type R has 4 seats, VTEC Sport is the same car with 400cc less and has 5 seats). Generally if this is the case the mounting for the 5th seatbelt will be there already, but you may have to change the seat base & back too. Also you will have to get it reclassified on the V5 to prevent you from prosecution for overloading etc.

If the car is classed as a 4-seater in its specifications, and, and only has four seat belts, I think you would hit real problems trying to change it to 5 seats.
    the Construction and Use Act would be applied, and there is no doubt that a whole raft of clauses would apply.
    Correct fitting of an additional seat belt would be the tip of the iceburg. Not only would the securing of the 5th passenger have to be satisfied, but also the calculated effects of that passenger; from the possibly reduced safety in the event of a collision to changes in the car's behaviour under all types of road conditions and surfaces. You are not looking at the same animal as a specified 4/5 seater vehicle.