Thread: VW Polo - Replacing Cambelt

Default VW Polo - Replacing Cambelt

Morning

Any advice on this query would be much appreciated.

I own a VW polo 1.4S 02' automatic. I've had the car for 5/6 years. My annual mileage is low - approx 6,000miles pa - mainly in town. Total mileage on the clock is 27,000. I put the car in for a service with a main VW dealer and BEFORE the service they recommended a cambelt change. I asked how much a new cambelt would cost and they said approx £500. Gulp!!

I can't afford it at the moment.

I'm no mechanic. This sounds like a major job and is a lot of money. With my mileage, do you think a cambelt change is due and is £500 the going rate?

Thanks

It sounds a bit steep to me, Depending on the actual engine you have (twin cam or single cam) The book time for both is under 2hrs.

Agree with MrDanno. Book time around 2 hours for 8 or 16 valve.
    The full timing belt kit should cost you around £180 fitted.
    The interval is 60,000 miles or 6 years so VW are going on the latter. These engines can suffer from premature tensioner failure so a full kit is essential.

Thumbs up

MrDanno and Hometune

Thank you for your posts.
    I spoke to the dealer again and he said it was due after40,000 miles or 6 years.

Now that I know it needs replacing, I'll look around to see if I can get a better price.

Thank you very much for your help.

Once again, the person you spoke to at the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. You will have been dealt with by someone on the front counter with, probably, no mechanical experience or qualifications. They are also target driven to achieve sales.
    Volkswagen recommend the belt is checked at 60,000 miles then at every 20,000 miles thereafter. However, at 60,000 miles the belt is past its sell-by date and it is false economy to try and make it last longer.
    There are a number of engine codes and if yours is 1.4 16 valve, code AFH, there is a warning about premature timing belt wear. The belt on this is replaced with an improved design. Incidentally, VW do not give a recommended interval for changing the belt

The only recommended 40,000 mile interval is for the 1.2, 1.4, 1.7 and 1.9 DIESEL ENGINES and then only up to 2000 model year.

I have posted this for the benefit of other VW owners.

Thanks Hometune

I did ask if it was possible to inspect the belt to see if it needed replacing but they said it takes so much work and cost to get to the belt that you might as well replace it. They said the belt is a rubber compound (I glazed over at this point) and would deteriorate with age regardless of mileage. The quote of £500 also included replacing the water pump.

Sods law says I own a 1.4 16 valve engine and I do.

Not sure where I check the code AFH. Iíve dug up the log book is the code AFH related to the version or engine number? Would it save money if I bought the belt/kit and asked them to fit it or do you think I should leave it all to the garage?

Either way, to err on the side of caution, it looks like I should replace the belt.
    Iím going to check with local garages for a better price.

Thanks again for your help

All VW engine codes are both on a sticker on the timing belt cover and in the boot on another sticker with all the car details. It is under the carpet in the spare wheel bay.
    If you also fit a water pump at the same time, do not pay more than £250. The local garage will source the parts but some, if you ask them, will fit your own.

With the warning about premature failure of the original timing belt, advise you get it replaced soon.

Thanks Hometune

Will do.