Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vectra idling and stalling problem

Default Vectra idling and stalling problem

Hi all,
    I drive a 1996 Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 GLS which recently has been suffering with a bad idle. When approaching a roadabout or junction, i go to stop and the car stalls.
    From googling it, i have discovered that this may be caused by a dirty throttle body and idle control valve.
    I also found out that garages can charge a lot of money for this, so decided to do it myself.
    I have managed to replace the idle control valve and took the throttle body off to clean. It has all been put back on, but i made a big mistake by not noting which pipe came off what. I put them back on in what order i thought they did and started the engine.
    The car starts, but there is a funny noise coming from the engine, and when i turn off the ignition, it makes a terrible noise. (The kind you get when you turn the ignition when the car is already started).
    I really have no idea where i went wrong and dont know what else the problem could be other than the fact, the pipes are on wrong..But would that really make such a noise when i turn the ignition off.

Any help provided would be appreciated.

Steve

sounds like a vaccuum hose has been left off

Shame you didn't post here earlier as there was no need to take the throttle body or idle speed control valve off! Its a simple job of taking off the air pipe on top and cleaning around the butterfly in situ.
    To help you find an air leak or pipe not connected, try spraying carburettor cleaner/brake cleaner around the throttle body with the engine idling. A change in engine speed will point you towards the fault.

Well i was told, that it wasnt worth cleaning the idle valve and it was better to replace. As for the throttle body, i was told that to do a good job, taking it off to clean was a better idea.
    Wish i hadnt. Still without a car

Steve, is it the Echotech X18XE engine? If so, here is some info

http://vectra-sport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25

I did mine in September 2004 as i was having the same idling/cutting out problems & never had the problem since (touch wood)

Hi, yes i saw that page, thanks..

Could you do me a favour then please, would it be possible for you to send me a close up picture of your throttle body so that i can see where the pipes go.
    Thanks

Will do, waiting for it to stop raining. P*****g down here at the moment though

Back soon.

yea same here. Been out in it this morning trying to get it fixed. Damn thing. Im carless at the moment until i get it sorted,
    Thanks for your help.

mate thats spot on.Thank you very much,
    For a start all my pipes were on the wrong way.

The bottom pipe, i believe it attatches to a slot just under the throttle body, how loose is it. When i tried it on that one before, if was quite loose.

Brilliant pictures once again