Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion about spare wheels...

Snowball, leaving your spare at home and going onto the mainland would cost us over 400 in accommodation and ferry fares - it's a no brainer. Have a proper spare with pressures checked and the kit to change a wheel. I could wait over five hours for help to change a wheel up here.

I didn't buy a particular car because it only had a repair kit. If the RAC had offered this suggestion I might well have bought the car and it would have helped to continue to secure my membership. I think it a great idea.

FJ, you have raised several points that score heavily in favour of an on board spare wheel been carried (for me, that extends to a standard, full-sized spare). Although your island situation makes the problem worse, I think that in today's climate a breakdown due to a puncture can cause considerable delay if you don't have the convenience of carrying a spare.
    One tip that I apply: You can never be sure of how your vehicle is loaded if a puncture occurs, so I inflate my spare to just above the maximum pressure given in the vehicle handbook. Then, if I need to fit it, the pressure is ready for a fully loaded vehicle, and it is easy to lower the pressure as required.

Quite agree Snowball and I also carry a tyre inflator and call in at first garage after a puncture to check - not that one can always rely on garage tyre machines to be any more accurate.

Given how old this thread is, I wonder if there's any research as to whether manufacturers have listened or not?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    Quite agree Snowball and I also carry a tyre inflator and call in at first garage after a puncture to check - not that one can always rely on garage tyre machines to be any more accurate.

Given how old this thread is, I wonder if there's any research as to whether manufacturers have listened or not?
    I always carry one of those wheel nut wrenchs with an extendable arm, OR one of those four way toolsin the shape of a "plus" sign, as quite often the nuts are impossible to unscrew with the small manufacturer supplied tool.

But secondly, how durable are the space saving spare tyres? If you have one for 15 years do they deteriorate?

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post

Good question!
    Standard equipment carried in my car are: Torque wrench, 24" breaker bar, Ring Automotive Heavy Duty air compressor with 7-metre curly hose, so that it gets all around the car (this uses crocodile clips to fit onto the battery because it draws 26 amps - too high for lighter sockets), and Race X Professional tyre pressure gauge.
    In the event of needing to do a wheel change, my only cause for calling out the recovery service would be to have a large, heavy, well-lit wagon between me and approaching traffic in a hazardous situation.

I know I get laughed at because of the extra weight but if I'm off-roading then the trolley jack comes - won't use the pathetic jack supplied and the convenient compressed air jobs don't like sharp rocks!! I also carry a spider and breaker bar but the air compressor is more lightweight than your's Snowball, partly because I'm most likely (hope I'm not jinxing myself!!) to get a puncture when I'm off-road and using my radio which draws off the battery; when you've got 2 radios on the go can cause quite a drain, despite running the engine regularly. I'd like to have a leisure battery that I can charge on the long journeys to help dissipate the load but for the moment that's not an affordable option.

Interesting point about space-savers and how long they last if not used - do they have to meet the same standards as normal tyres in that respect? Maybe a daft question as they clearly don't have the road reliability that a full spare would!

Snowball, I like the capability to change a wheel, but won't attempt to do that unless am able to get clear of main highway and not in dangerous position and definitely not on m-ways any more. As far trying it on single track roads, very dubious in summer season when there are still vast hordes of visitors who don't know how to drive on them. A number of us now carry two warning triangles!!

"A number of us now have two warning triangles". Since I have a permanently live 12-volt output in the 13-pin socket of my towbar, I have been considering modifying my triangle to have an amber strobe light fitted to it, and about 15 metres of lead for it.
    Did consider a blue light, but that would probably be asking for trouble, although it would not be actually on the vehicle, or in motion. Got the idea from those blue beacons that the police often lay along a road at an incident.

The RAC shop have illuminated lights. And I have some torches from HomeBase and /or B&Q with flashing red/amber lights, complete with a few tools.

Our Ford Focus was manufactured in 1999, we have used the Emergency spare wheel several times, but it is now 15 years old.

There is a "shelf life" or "Best-before-date" on tyres, I believe of five years.