Thread: clio ABS light ?

Default clio ABS light ?

51 plate clio 1.2 16v. The ''ABS'' and service light are showing all of a sudden,before this when i used to apply the footbrake when slowing, down the abs used to kick in at any speed, but it would only kick in now and again so i never really bothered with it but now the lights are on any idea's ?

It will need to go on the diagnostic computer to find the fault.

The 'SERV' light is NOT A SERVICE light. SERV is French for engine management and this light comes on when an engine, ABS, Airbag etc fault is found by the respective ECU (computer).

Been on diagnostic today heres what i got:::::: 7d rear hand active wheel speed sensor circuit.

Does this mean there's some sort of sensor on the back wheel

There are sensors on each wheel. The scanner should identify which one is faulty.
    Renault have their own method and do not use simple codes like everyone else.
    The scanner should say either: 'right front speed sensor' or 'left front speed sensor', or 'right hand rear sensor' or 'left hand rear sensor'. Not sure what your scanner means!!!

ok,i mis-read it. it states rear 'right' hand active wheel speed sensor circuit.
    so i take it its the sensor on that wheel is that drivers side rear then ?

i had the fault cleared it went off,then it stayed off for 5 minutes.....came back on again for around 10 minutes then went off and hasn't come back on now and ive been driving the car for an hour! strange or what?

Yes driver's side rear wheel.
    This may be just an accumulation of metal particles on the sensor - it's a magnet - so worth having a look and cleaning it with a cloth. Also, check the reluctor which is the toothed ring that spins very close to the tip of the sensor. Ensure there is a slight gap. Try spraying WD40 into the electrical connectors, disconnect, spray then reconnect.
    If it comes on again after all that, then you will probably need a new sensor.

Thanks for that info 'hometune'

Default I had the same problem, it is now fixed.

I have been having exactly the same problem with my 03 reg clio 1.5 Dci Expression.

Slow speed braking with heavy ABS judder. Over 30 mph, ABS warning light comes on and the ABS system shuts down leaving only normal braking.

I have read many different opinions as to the cause and the cure for this problem, and some people are being charged loads of money to have entire drive shafts replaced. (CRAZY!!!)

I took mine to a local independent garage who looked at it and replaced the "drive shaft ABS ring" according to their receipt.

Total cost?

£72.00 including parts labour and VAT.

My car works properly again now.

I hope that this is of some help to people who are having the same problem.

You still need to determine which sensor is faulty and that usually means putting it on a diagnostic tool.
    Clios are well known for the abs ring cracking on the front driveshafts causing these symptoms. If you look online you can find the rings for around 10-15 but beware, there are 3 options, so you need to count the segments to ensure you get the right one. Then remove the driveshaft from the hub, chisel off the old ring, clean the cv joint and fit the new ring. The light should go out on its own once the car is driven.
    Incidentally, as to price, you can buy fully reconditioned driveshafts with the new ring in place for little more than the 72 shown above.