Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought new car, Can i drive home without tax?

Quote Originally Posted by saloon drifter View Post
    How long before you get it back on the road, such a great car to have and not drive.
    How long is a piece of string?

Anyone who has not restored a 30+ year old car which has not been driven for 10 years cannot imagine the amount of work required to get it to almost pristine condition or even just to a roadworthy condition.
    Luckily there is no body rot and the paint is OK, which are jobs I wouldn't attempt myself. Everything else is fixable given time and loads of patience.
    Just finished rebuilding the brakes at the front end and am now rebuilding the four Stromberg carbs. Next job is to drop the rear end mechanicals and rebuild. Not a simple job because the suspension, brakes, diff, drive shafts and hubs all come out as one assembly and weigh about 400lbs.

By the time it's finished I won't be able to afford petrol to drive it at 12MPG!
    Pete

I can imangine it's a long hard task to restore to it's full glory, good luck with it. I am sure it will be worth all the time and money spent.

Quote Originally Posted by saloon drifter View Post
    I can imangine it's a long hard task to restore to it's full glory, good luck with it. I am sure it will be worth all the time and money spent.
    Rarely, if ever, is the car worth in the time and money spent to restore it.
    It has to be a 'labour of love'. When finished the 'worth' is measured in Smiles per Gallon.
    Pete

Re the legality of no tax disc. If you have your car booked into an MoT station you can drive the car there so long as you dont deviate and call to do your shopping on the way.
    I have just had VOSA give me a prohibition notice for a Porsche 928 which I very recently bought with a new(?) MoT. The brake pipes had ballooned so they said the car was dangerous and so unroadworthy. The trader who sold me it was pretending to be a private seller to get out of giving me my money back (he has now as the car was also a write off many years ago and which he omitted to tell me. An HPI check found it). The VOSA people said the car could only be driven to a prearranged test after repairs.
    As for trade plates, well as I understand it, they are only to enable garages and traders to drive cars on the road without tax. The cars must have insurance and a valid test certificate (if required) so trade plates are not a cover all. And they cant go shopping on them either!