Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought new car, Can i drive home without tax?

Default Bought new car, Can i drive home without tax?

I know you're allowed to drive to an MOT, from an MOT to a place to repair the vehicle etc without valid TAX. I also was told its ok to drive a car you have purchased, without TAX, to you're home address (the one you have written on the new owner slip). Have i been fed lies regarding the last one, or is this correct.

Thanks, Kelvin.

You have been fed a line, it is an offence to drive without a valid RFL.

Not with regards to MOT though as long as its pre booked? As you can't get tax without an MOT!?

Default Driving without VED

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvfoozinda View Post
    Not with regards to MOT though as long as its pre booked? As you can't get tax without an MOT!?
    You are correct in saying that under those circumstances you can drive without a valid MOT cert. Does that not assume that the VED is valid at the time? If the VED has already expired the vehicle should have been registered SORN and can therefore not be driven on the road even to an MOT station.
    Is that correct or have I misunderstood the rules?
    Pete

Default Noq1

E-bygum is quite correct.
    No valid VED disk ON DISPLAY , can't drive on road (unless you're on trade plates) FULL STOP.

Default MOT/No Tax Disc

Some MOT stations offer trailer transport for the car so that taxless vehicles can be tested.
    I have a '71 E Type that has not been taxed since 1998. To get it to a testing station legally I have to trailer it.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by e-bygum View Post
    Some MOT stations offer trailer transport for the car so that taxless vehicles can be tested.
    I have a '71 E Type that has not been taxed since 1998. To get it to a testing station legally I have to trailer it.
    Pete
    Why is it not taxed is it not free for cars that age?

Default Tax

Quote Originally Posted by saloon drifter View Post
    Why is it not taxed is it not free for cars that age?
    Yes the tax is free.
    I bought the car two years ago in a non-roadworthy condition. It had been off the road since 1998, this was pre SORN regulations. I can't tax it now before I have finished restoring it because it won't pass an MOT test.
    Pete

How long before you get it back on the road, such a great car to have and not drive.

Quote Originally Posted by saloon drifter View Post
    How long before you get it back on the road, such a great car to have and not drive.
    How long is a piece of string?

Anyone who has not restored a 30+ year old car which has not been driven for 10 years cannot imagine the amount of work required to get it to almost pristine condition or even just to a roadworth condition.
    Luckily there is no body rot and the paint is OK, which are jobs I wouldn't attempt myself. Everything else is fixable given time and loads of patience.
    Just finished rebuilding the brakes at the front end and am now rebuilding the four Stromberg carbs. Next job is to drop the rear end mechanicals and rebuild. Not a simple job because the suspension, brakes, diff, drive shafts and hubs all come out as one assembly and weigh about 400lbs.

By the time it's finished I won't be able to afford petrol to drive it at 12MPG!
    Pete