Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving with no insurance - whats the penalty?

Default driving with no insurance - whats the penalty?

I was recently pulled over as the van i was driving came up ion the police system as having no insurance.

i was sure that it was covered by my policy 3rd party only, but unfortunatley, after further investigation, my insurance only covers drivers that are over 25 and driving a vehicle belonging to someone else. Me being 24 and drving a van belonging to me i am pretty much screwed.

So my question is what happens now? I already have 9 points on my licence (yes i know, tut tut) and i think the penalty for no insurance is 6 points plus a fine. does anybody know of a way this can be changed as i need a vehicle for my work ( i'm a carpet fitter so i need a van)

if not. what happens when you exceed your 12 point limit on your licence? is it a ban? or a fine? or both?

any help or advice would be great

thanks

olly

No insurance is deemed (quite rightly) to be a very serious offence. I would be very surprised, being on 9points already, if you escape without a ban. The points system was brough into being not so much to punish people as to try and teach them to respect the law. If you commit enough, or serious enough offences you lose your licence for a period and suffer the consequences of not being able to drive.

I would expect both a fine and a 3month ban to come out of this situation.

Default Insurance

Many people assume that their insurance covers another vehicle 3rd party. This was clamped down on a couple of years ago by most insurance companies as it was being abused by the clever dicks out there. They were insuring base cars such as Micras and then driving around in Porches and the like. Check your insurance documents and you will probably see that it is for the insured vehicle only. I am sure you are facing a 6-12 months ban and a fine of about 200. You could go to court and plead that your livlihood is threatened if you are banned and state your reasons of thinking that you were covered 3rd party. You will need a good solicitor to avoid the ban.

I agree entirely that driving without insurance is a serious offence. This is as a result of people who are involved in accidents with uninsured drivers being ruined financially due to their own insurance companies not being able to recover the costs. However I believe with the obscene amounts of money that most of us pay to the insurance companies, they really ought to cover costs such as these themselves.

But as it stands, while our insurance companies refuse to do this, driving without insurance is justifiably viewed as a serious offence due to the suffering caused to anyone involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.
    Last edited by 98selitb; 27-05-08 at 20:05.

Bad news all round really. You could get a 12month ban on 'totting up', plus a 3month ban for driving with no insurance. Mitigating circumstances will lower this, but I would still expect a ban. The fine will probably go up as the ban gets lower. I would advise a session at the relevant Court, see how they deal usually. There are definite area differences.

Six points and a fine of around the 500 mark.Think your looking at a ban to be honest becuase it would give you 15 points if they let you keep your licence.Not sure saying you need your licence for work will be enough to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Bad news all round really. You could get a 12month ban on 'totting up', plus a 3month ban for driving with no insurance.
    How do you come to this.No insurance would be 6 points and a fine and could have been dealt with at the roadside had he not had 9 points and pleaded guilty.Due to the points on totting up it needs to be dealt with in court though.
    If he pleaded not guilty or he has to many points already then it goes to court and the difference is if found guilty there the points go up to 6 to 8 points and the fine usually goes up and he has to pay court costs on top.The ban is a ban but they would not add 3 months for no insurance.

Loony: With regard to your comment: 'The ban is a ban but they would not add 3 months for no insurance.'
    All Magistrates Courts have the discretion to disquality a driver for driving without insurance. It is not unusual locally for a driver who crosses the 12point threshold with a no insurance offence to be given a 15month ban. 12months for 'totting up', and 3months for no insurance. So to say 'would not...' is not fair to the original poster. It is all down to his mitigating circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Loony: With regard to your comment: 'The ban is a ban but they would not add 3 months for no insurance.'
    All Magistrates Courts have the discretion to disquality a driver for driving without insurance. It is not unusual locally for a driver who crosses the 12point threshold with a no insurance offence to be given a 15month ban. 12months for 'totting up', and 3months for no insurance. So to say 'would not...' is not fair to the original poster. It is all down to his mitigating circumstances.
    The thing is driving with no insurance is normally dealt with by 6 points and a fine at the roadside,no ban.
    If it goes to court it normally gets you 6 to 8 points and a fine plus court costs.yes disqualification is at the discretion of the court.
    As the op will have totted up more than 12 points he would be in a position to get a TT99 for totting up and a ban.The bans for TT99 normally last around 6 months for this.
    I can see what your saying but being realistic people get 12 months for drink driving.
    You are right in saying that it will depend on his circumstances and they will look at what the other points were for and this will help their decision.

Hi, I am in a similar situation and would appreciate some help.

I am 24 years old, been driviing for 6 years clean licence. I am the plicy holder with fully comp insurance on my car with elephant and was pulled over driving my sisters car. I thought that I had 3rd party cover, but the subsequent police check came back as no insurance. I spoke with the iunsurers and they said that i have to be over 25 for any car to be valid.

Now a couple of questions:

1. My policy does not say either way that I can or cannot drive another car. Can i get away with the fact that the policy is ambiguous?

2. Someone mentioned that each major insurer has a 'police department', which deal with this type of case. They listen to caims from customer and give a week cover note if they think the customer was missold. has anyone heard of this? and if so how would I go about aproaching them?

Thanks