Thread: Spare fuel can

Default Spare fuel can

Is it illegal to carry a can of spare fuel in the car?

No, it is not illegal, provided it is secure and clearly marked. I believe the required marking is 'Petroleum Spirit Highly Flammable'.

Exclamation Fuel in cans

Quote Originally Posted by Stu001 View Post
    Is it illegal to carry a can of spare fuel in the car?
    You are permitted to carry fuel in an approved container, but there are strict limits as to HOW much - I'm not certain but I think it's 10 litres - no doubt someone can confirm.

An "approved container" is readily available in most good car accessory shops - generally green for unleaded petrol, red for leaded, and black for diesel.

Most countries in Europe permit the carrying of some spare fuel (under similar regulations) BUT it is NOT PERMITTED on any vessel crossing the channel or the 'Chunnel'.

Default Fuel

I believe that 15 litres in correctly marked cans is the legal limit. I personally would not carry any fuel in loose cans. Carry an empty can by all means for that if you need it moment. Don't drive around on vapours.

I heard that 10 litres is the limit, still I`m not 100% shure.

Default Fuel storage

That thread is quite interesting. As an AA Patrol, I was issued 3 plastic 5-litre fuel containers; red for leaded, green for unleaded and black for diesel. The expectation was that these would be full and ready for use at all times. They were securely strapped down in a closed box. So my guess is that with leaded fuel becoming less relevant, maybe there has been a change in the law?

Default Quantity of fuel

I must admit I always thought 15 litres was the max legal amount in cans. I researched this several years ago for some reason and came up with 15 litres. My last research came up with the above link on my last posting on this subject.

Default Fuel in cars

Quote Originally Posted by RoverV6 View Post
    Sounds like sound advice, apart from the spelling mistakes which always make me wonder!