Thread: MILES per LITRE

Smile MILES per LITRE

the motoring organisations should be encouraging manufacturers to publish fuel consumption data in MILES per LITRE - this would make it very easy for drivers to make an instant connection between speed, distance and cost for a journey, rather than having to use a calculator to convert MPG. A simple easy way to give drivers the information they need to make decisions on how much their journey is costing and whether there are savings to be made (perhaps by slowing down or taking a different route). Can YOU quickly calculate your fuel cost to travel 10miles???

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysailorboy View Post
    Can YOU quickly calculate your fuel cost to travel 10miles???
    It's no great shakes to do the imp to metric conversion. You just take whatever figure you're using (cost or distance) and divide by 4.545.

My fuel costs 1.25. Multiply that by 4.545 and divide the whole lot by 60(mpg). Result is 9.46p per mile.

Default Miles per litre

My point was that unless you are carrying a calculator with you every day then you will not easily be able to determine what each journey is going to cost as you have to convert the current fuel price into a price per gallon and then make the calculation over the distance. Why use MPG in the first place???

I agree with the point on having to carry a calculator around, it's a bit like when you're abroad in a country whose currency has a difficult conversion rate that cannot be easily calculated in your head.

Miles is the only imperial measurement I "think" in; everything else is metric for me. I believe the country has been officially metric (except miles) since 1971? But as there are many people who have been born and raised under the imperial measurement system, it seems perfectly fair to me to keep it and use both systems depending on what is easiest for each individual...eventually I think the imperial system may die out and things will move towards exclusively metric but that will be a while yet. I have no bias towards either system really, just use whatever is best for you, as long as you can roughly understand the other system too when needed. Sidetracking a bit, but some countries (e.g. Ireland and Canada) used to use miles but switched to kilometres and there hasn't seemed to be any problem. It would take a while to adjust but soon it would seem normal, just as how Eurozone residents have changed to "thinking" in euros rather than their old local currency after a certain period of time.

Miles per litre seems a good idea to me though because, even though I understand the MPG measurement as a guide, I have no idea what a gallon is!
    Last edited by 98selitb; 23-05-08 at 22:45.

I don't see the problem, fuel is metered in litres at the pump, so it is easy to work out miles per litre. Check how many litres you buy, and how many miles you do. Exactly the same as you work out your miles per gallon. It does seem to me though, that you really are talking about miles per pound. As the fuel price is going up quite quickly at the moment, you will have to wait until the price stabilizes before you can work that out to a definite.
    Personally, I believe that petrol will jump up to 144.9p per litre quite quickly, and then spend a while there before hitting 1.50 per litre.

Smile miles per litre

we measure distance in UK in miles. we measure fuel dispensed in litres. the obvious, way to record fuel consumption is therefore miles per litre. This measure should be available from the manufacturers at a range of speeds (eg 30, 40, 50, 60 , 70, 80 mph) This then gives an immediate reference point to miles per which is what we all need to have if we are going to make easily calculated judgements on a) how much a journey is going to cost me, or b) if I slow down from 80mph to 60mph how much can I save?

Default Miles, etc

Personally I'd be happy using the correct SI units (NB, NOT the same as metric by any means) for everything but that will never happen here for many reasons. Instead we'll just bumble along with a totally idiotic mixture of imperial, metric and medieval!