Thread: Selling my car - scams to look out for?

Default Selling my car - scams to look out for?

Hi,

I am currently in the process of selling my car, have exchanged info, details etc with an interested buyer. Basically having looked on this forum, I have noticed quite a few people have sold cars only for the buyer a few days later wanting their money back for some reason or another.

I want to know what my rights are should I have a difficult/con buyer like this? Found this woman through autotrader, she's paying by bankers draft and then I need to ship the car to her as she lives on one of the British isles. I'm not sending or doing anything until the funds have cleared and have been withdrawn from my account. What are the potential hazards here? If she turns around and asks for the money back am I legally obliged in any way to give it to her? Can she claim back the money from the bank? I've given her all the info about the car, and there are no faults with it. So if she does turn around claiming a fault I will be highly suspicious. Also with shipping companies who bears the responsibility should anything happen during shipping?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Nathalie

When you say you are shipping to the British Isles, do you mean you are not in the UK? If so, you will be subject to different laws than here, and I don't think anyone here will be able to answer you.
    If, however, you are on UK mainland, shipping to a UK-controlled island, then standard trading law applies. Basically none as a private seller. As long as you are the legal owner and are entiltled to sell. If a person is buying a car unseen, more fool them. Just wait for the draft to clear, ship it and forget it. They have no recourse.

Thanks I needed that reassurance. I am on the UK mainland, she's on a UK island.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    When you say you are shipping to the British Isles, do you mean you are not in the UK? If so, you will be subject to different laws than here, and I don't think anyone here will be able to answer you.
    If, however, you are on UK mainland, shipping to a UK-controlled island, then standard trading law applies. Basically none as a private seller. As long as you are the legal owner and are entiltled to sell. If a person is buying a car unseen, more fool them. Just wait for the draft to clear, ship it and forget it. They have no recourse.

Bankers drafts can be cancelled weeks after they have been supposedly cleared. This is one of the most popular scams going

Thanks! That's really good to know... I've had quite a few emails regarding the car, all of them only offering bankers drafts. I even asked the bank and they said once its cleared it's fine, but surely these scammers know something we don't, otherwise they wouldn't all be using the same tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie View Post
    Thanks! That's really good to know... I've had quite a few emails regarding the car, all of them only offering bankers drafts. I even asked the bank and they said once its cleared it's fine, but surely these scammers know something we don't, otherwise they wouldn't all be using the same tactic.
    Seriously, do not do it!! Even if it 'clears' and you withdraw the money it can soon bounce and you will have to repay the bank. Don't sell it to someone you won't ever meet, accept cash only if its just a smallish amount.