Thread: 1998 Saab 900 engine fault?

Default 1998 Saab 900 engine fault?

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I recently bought a 98 Saab 900 2.0 petrol engine (not turbo).
    Yesterday I was driving through town and the engine revs suddenly dropped to 200 then the car stalled and woudlnt restart for about 20 seconds. I took it to the Saab garage the next day and they couldnt find anything wrong with it. This evening I tried to start it and the same thing happened, the starter motor turns ok but the engine either doesnt fire or fires then immediately loses revs and cuts out again.

Any ideas what might be happening?
    Daniel

Without checking/inspecting the vehicle it is going to be difficult-but it may be worth checking the crank position sensor for operation/output when this happens-another cause could be a faulty fuel pump. You really need to check fuel/spark etc when this happens to get an idea where to start looking for the fault.

Thanks for the info, the info I seem to have found from trawling the internet suggests that either a vacuum leak, fuel pump failure or problem with the throttle body is the most likely cause of stalling in this car, it just seems a bit weird that the garage had it for a whole day and said there was nothing wrong though!

Well as the fault is intermittent-it is hard to say what the cause is unless the vehicle 'faults' and then you can start to find out what is 'missing'........

Just for information, in the end the problem turned out to be a small crack in one of the hoses leading to the main idler valve, the garage fixed it for free as they missed it the 1st time and so far no problems!

Well glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting back with your resolution.

Unfortunately the fault recurred despite the repair and had to get recovered by RAC, this time the guy did a check on the fuel pump fuse and found it had no power, and connecting a live to it remedied the fault, however, got it to the garage and this morning they cant find a problem. Since this keeps happening am wondering whether its just worth cutting my losses and scrapping the car, any ideas?
    Dan

Might be worth substituting the fuel pump relay with a known good one.....

Thumbs up Saab

There is also a very good SAAB owners site with a forum like this - a well known search engine should be able to find it with little problem.

replaced the fuel pump relay a few days ago but fault repeated itself, but strangely enough connecting a live directly to the fuel pump fuse cured the problem again, I think either the relay they replaced was no good or there is another problem between the relay and the fuse, its all a bit confusing!