Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: road tax can you help

Default road tax can you help

hi if i buy a car on saterday afternoon with no road tax (and the post office is closed ) can i drive it on sunday as long as i tax it at my first opportunity or is this a myth thanks peter

Tron is right on that one. Is there a way of making the tax a 'deal breaker'? i.e. "I'll have it but only if it's taxed"?

Quote Originally Posted by Qhunter View Post
    Tron is right on that one. Is there a way of making the tax a 'deal breaker'? i.e. "I'll have it but only if it's taxed"?
    not sure . but im not sure if tron is right. i know you can drive a car without a m.o.t to a test station as long as it is booked in first, so why not an untaxed car so you can get tax thanks peter

You can tax it online any time of day or night, if you have the reference number from the V5. Not sure whether it takes effect instantly but I don't see why not.

Apparently even if you have taxed your car in this way, failing to display a tax disc is still an offence! I was reminded once after I forgot to put my new tax disc in for over a week after taxing my car. Not all of the police are as friendly as the one who pointed out my error

not sure if you can tax a car that is not registered in your name on line. can you help, i know you can if it is in your name thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matt0677 View Post
    You can tax it online any time of day or night, if you have the reference number from the V5. Not sure whether it takes effect instantly but I don't see why not.

Apparently even if you have taxed your car in this way, failing to display a tax disc is still an offence! I was reminded once after I forgot to put my new tax disc in for over a week after taxing my car. Not all of the police are as friendly as the one who pointed out my error
    This is interesting:
    Why be allowed to tax your car online if it does not have an immediate effect?!
    When you insure a car, as soon as you have paid an installment its instantly covered and the paper certificate is just proof so to speak that you have insured your car.
    Like wise, when you pass your test, the provisional licenses are taken off of you and you are given a test certificate and this acts as your license until your new license arrives.
    Why dont they allow you to do this? Ie have a print off certificate that you have taxed your car until the disk arrives.
    However why dont they update the tax system, a piece of paper stuck in your car is a bit out of date isnt it?! In this new technoligical age something more than paper should show how your car is taxed.

mills705, I have a horrible thought that with the introduction of ANPR camera vans, we are not far away from doing away with that bit of paper. My worry is, what will they replace it with? There was talk of going the way of stamped number plates, also talk of no disc at all where it would be left to chance if you got caught. Either way, you can pretty much guarantee that the machinery they bought to produce the current discs will be scrapped to the tune of a few million of our well-earned pounds, and will be replaced with another multi-million pound system they at DVLA can mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by peter harringto View Post
    not sure if you can tax a car that is not registered in your name on line. can you help, i know you can if it is in your name thanks
    Good point, when I do it the system doesn't even ask for an address, just posts the new disc to me automatically. I didn't notice if there are provisions for taxing a car you don't yet own.

Best ask the current owner to do it if they're still insured to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0677 View Post

Reminds me of once being stopped for not displaying my tax disc. I told the police officer that I was sure I had taxed the car, and would bring it in to the station to show them. He said it was a punishable offence not to have the tax disc displayed, so he would check, and be round that evening to see me if there was no tax record, and told me to put it in the screen immediately I got home. He also told me to note his name and number in case I was stopped again, and say he was dealing with it.

After much searching and not being able to find the tax disc, I went out to the car to search.
    The disc holder was a metal ring stuck to the screen, and a plastic disc held in place by a circlip. Because it rattled, I used to leave a few old tax discs in it to keep it quiet. When I put the new tax disc in the holder, I hadn't noticed that the expiring one had stuck in place, so the new disc was behind it. Never made that mistake again, and I was sure lucky to meet a friendly bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by peter harringto View Post
    hi if i buy a car on saterday afternoon with no road tax (and the post office is closed ) can i drive it on sunday as long as i tax it at my first opportunity or is this a myth thanks peter
    Definatly a myth.

My opther half bought a new (used) car one thursday night, no tax on it, drove teh mile form dealer home, parked on drive.

Went out at 8.45am next day in teh car to tax it, stopped at hairdresser to make an appointment came out to find DVLA had clamped it fro no tax.

Result 200 (i thinmk it was) unclamping fee + price of tax.

No issues with this as itw as her fault fro driving it untaxed.