Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Thinks of buying a Landrover.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Thinks of buying a Landrover.

    I've been considering buying a Landrover for sometime now. So much so that I've even bought a few issues of Landrover Owner magazine! I am thinking of either going for a Defender or a Freelander.

    Does anybody have experience of these either good or bad?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    8,504

    Default

    I used to have access to a lwb Safari. Best fun I ever had off-road. Not too clever on fuel, so if I bought one, I would go for a diesel. My friend's neighbour has a Freelander, and has nothing but constant trouble with it. Can't be more definite about problems, as I really don't want to get involved with him. If you buy used, avoid the K series engine. They are a disaster.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North of Watford Gap
    Posts
    964

    Unhappy Landrover

    Quote Originally Posted by Off-road-driver View Post
    I've been considering buying a Landrover for sometime now. So much so that I've even bought a few issues of Landrover Owner magazine! I am thinking of either going for a Defender or a Freelander.

    Does anybody have experience of these either good or bad?
    I previously had LandRovers for many years. DO NOT buy any LandRover if you are not a] fairly competant mechanically and electrically and b] have spare cash. Insurance tends to be on the high side because insurers reckon that if you hit someone you wipe them out, and the Station Wagon can carry 12 people (expensive if you kill them all), and you REALLY don't want to be in one if it rolls!!

    LandRovers often breakdown because parts are just not up to the job, but on the plus side your average blacksmith can mend one (they are not particulary sophisticated). Electrical diagrams are no help whatsoever because no-one has any idea where LandRover actually fit things (you just try to find the voltage cut-out relay that stops the rear-screen heater flattening the battery!).

    LandRovers breakdown MORE often if they are not occasionally driven over rough terrrain (never mind "off road" - that's a very misleading term) which is where they excel; that is their natural environment and you might well be very disappointed with on-road performance. ALL LandRovers let rain in, so there is no point having carpets - they will stink/rot in no time.

    The FreeLander is utter c***! I've seen engines knackered after 3500miles, and their crash-worthiness is frighteningly inadequate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    Quote:I previously had LandRovers for many years. DO NOT buy any LandRover if you are not a] fairly competant mechanically and electrically and b] have spare cash. Insurance tends to be on the high side because insurers reckon that if you hit someone you wipe them out, and the Station Wagon can carry 12 people (expensive if you kill them all), and you REALLY don't want to be in one if it rolls!!

    LandRovers often breakdown because parts are just not up to the job, but on the plus side your average blacksmith can mend one (they are not particulary sophisticated). Electrical diagrams are no help whatsoever because no-one has any idea where LandRover actually fit things (you just try to find the voltage cut-out relay that stops the rear-screen heater flattening the battery!).

    LandRovers breakdown MORE often if they are not occasionally driven over rough terrrain (never mind "off road" - that's a very misleading term) which is where they excel; that is their natural environment and you might well be very disappointed with on-road performance. ALL LandRovers let rain in, so there is no point having carpets - they will stink/rot in no time.

    The FreeLander is utter c***! I've seen engines knackered after 3500miles, and their crash-worthiness is frighteningly inadequate.
    Wow, you really aren't a Landrover fan are you? On the Defender's Wikipeadia page it says that "the Land Rover Defender and Land Rover Discovery are the safest cars on British roads (measured in terms of chance of death in two car injury accidents)"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    8,504

    Default

    'and their crash-worthiness is frighteningly inadequate.' I don't think I have this out of context, but the Discovery has a 4-star NCAP rating for drivers and passengers. It has a very solid chassis. I can not see any reality in this statement.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    very good cars but dont take it to italy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17

    Wink landrover etc

    i must admit never heard good word about freelander, pals got one, and all he says is it cost him fortune,never out the sick bay,early 200 landrover discos were not the best,used to lean on bends and wernt the best thing to drive,the later ones lot better,lotsof the newer ones think they fitted bmw engine,so prob lots better,sorry if ive put damper on it,but better to know what your letting your self into, kind regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hangin with Compo, Clegg and Foggy
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Whichever marque you go fro: Series 1/11/11A/111; 90/110; 101; Disco; Freelander or even Rangerover, theres one thing for sure, it's gonna cost you. Landrovers do one thing well and thats the proper off road thing (except freelander) they are adequate on road but mpg's isn't too healthy. The added bonus of owning a Series version is the landy wave.

    Forget Ncap ratings, cos in most collisions your gonna live, even if the landy doesn't come off best.

    However they are great fun, despite the weather getting in (that's part of the fun), and you'll end up putting a great deal of love into running one, oh and you'll need to familiarise yourself with this post.

    Good luck and happy motoring.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North of Watford Gap
    Posts
    964

    Exclamation Wikkipaedia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Off-road-driver View Post
    Wow, you really aren't a Landrover fan are you? On the Defender's Wikipeadia page it says that "the Land Rover Defender and Land Rover Discovery are the safest cars on British roads (measured in terms of chance of death in two car injury accidents)"
    Since when could you trust anything you read in Wikkipaedia? ;-)

    The sad fact is that LandRovers are NOT cars, they are agricultural vehicles. They are probably the best off road vehicles ever, but they are NOT optimised for the road. They have a releatively high centre of gravity and cannot, therefore, be driven like a car. They have evolved from a knock-off Jeep copy following WW2, gradually improving suspension, etc, but still stealing parts from other vehicles and emplying the "Great British, Lets Muddle Through Philosophy". For example, the 110 Station Wagon (now for some reason called "Defender") has had a whole series of oil-leaking underpowered, inefficient engines from the totally inadequate 21/4 petrol to the over-heated turbo-diesel and now the Ford Transit engine. The suspension self-levelling unit was knicked from Mercedes and was never upto the job, and the vehicle warranty SPECIFICALLY excludes water ingress through the doors, windows, etc - it's no surprise that BMW got shut of the whole organisation.

    Used for the right job, they are impressive, but they have not kept up with modern technology, and are NOT, repeat NOT, good on the road!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Just done the same as what you're intending to do. Didn't want to spend a lot on a "toy" either.
    First of all I bought a series 3, had most of the "add-ons" plus new suspension, rear crossmember etc.
    The biggest problem was it was too bloody slow! 52mph top speed.
    Sold that at a bit of a loss, and bought a reasonably nice 200TDI defender, but this has needed a few bits changing, plus all the add-ons, even then with doing the work myself, it's still been a good buy looking at the price of similar.

    Freelander, no! not a good choice, the rear exhaust is too near the ground, not to mention the bodywork isn't much higher, (but you can get lifting kits) petrol engines are rubbish rover stuff.

    Defender, go for a 200TDI or later, watch for rotten chassis, rear xmembers etc, but if you can do the repairs, bits are plentiful, and they are basically a number 10 mechano set.
    Half decent defender do hold there price.

    Discovery, cheap as chips! you can even get them for nowt if you're lucky, saw one on e-bay only the other day for 160
    not recommended to get auto.

    Range rovers, even cheaper!
    Parts for Disco's and range rovers are now available, but are a bit dearer than defender stuff, and not as easy to work on due to all the fancy toys.

    PS, find your local Landrover club, and go along to one of their "trails" watch what they CAN do!
    Last edited by Biffo; 23-04-08 at 19:29.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •