Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renault clio 1.2 16v fault codes

Question Renault clio 1.2 16v fault codes

I have just had the engine management system reset as the engine management light came on a couple of days ago. The garage told me that the fault codes have been cleared and the codes did not show up again. Also I was told to drive it for a few days to see if the light comes back on and then they can diagnose the problem again.

I have only had the car a month and it came with 3 months warranty and so wondered if any of the faults are a big problem that would need fixing within the warranty.

The car details are as follows:
    Renault clio expression +, 1.2 16v 2001.

The fault codes showing were:

DF116 Fuel circuit functional fault, lean offset - Memory
    DF106 Catalytic converter functional fault - Active
    DF207 Upstream sensor signal input, below the min level - Memory
    DF135 Brake pedal sensor circuit, signal incoherence - Memory

Many thanks for your help.

Assuming you have no further problems in the meantime, I would give it a month, then take the car back for another code read. If any of these faults show up again, insist the fault is rectified. As long as you report faults within the three months, they are still obliged to repair.

Some of those codes could be spurious and it is normal to clear and then reroad test to see what comes back-you will know if any are logged due to the management light coming back on............so as above drive it around and monitor. Did the engine run poorly/lack power/missfire when the light came on-or was it just the fact the light came on that prompted you to get it looked at. The only active code by looks of it is the catalyst one but that code is specific to the reader used to interrogate the ECU. It may be worth having an emissions check done to verify the cat is working correctly.............

Many thanks for the advice. The engine did not seem to lack power at any point, it was the light that prompted me. The engine management light first came on when I took it for a test drive, & then the dealer had it checked over and said he had a faulty sensor replaced. I'm not sure if they cleared the faults at that point.

I did have to top up the brake fluid after the brake light had come on, (it had dropped to the min level) so don't know if that would be one of the fault codes. Also a couple of weeks ago I realised it needs super unleaded fuel, whereas for a couple of weeks before I had been using standard unleaded as told by the dealer. I'm not sure if this would have caused the problem with the cat or not?

The brake fluid dropping may be either because the front pads are wearing down-it is normal for the level to drop as the front brake pads wear-or you may have a fluid leak (possibly rear wheel cylinders) so it may be worth having this checked-this would not log fault codes in the engine ECU.
    It would be useful to know what sensor was replaced? In my experience using unleaded over super unleaded would not trigger any fault codes

Unhappy The light is back & now lacking power...

Hi again,

the engine management light has come back on again, about a day or two ago. Then I noticed when driving on the motorway to work, it occasionally seems to lack power.

It seems to happen mostly between 3,500 & 4000 revs. Kind of feels like it is holding back a little and then all of a sudden it seems to shoot off again.

I'm trying to get it booked in to have the codes read again, but wondered if anyone would have any ideas as to what this is? I had also checked the coolant level yesterday and it was just about on the minimum level, so topped that up. But I had only checked that roughly 2-3 weeks before and it was ok.

Many thanks for your help.

Without a code read-it is going to be hard to say what the possible cause will be-remember a code will only give you an idea of the area to start looking. But nonetheless you need an idea where to start the diagnosis.

Post After another code read

I have just had to have another code read as the engine management light came back on, the codes are:

DF106 Catalytic converter functional fault - Active
    DF135 Brake pedal circuit, signal incoherence - Memory
    DF207 Upstream sensor memory signal input, below the min level

These 3 codes are the same as the first time it had a fault read a couple of months ago. It had also lost power once when in 5th gear just as I was accelerating when it reached between 3,500 & 4,000 revs. Even though the accelerator was being pressed it just seemed to be slowing down, and once dropped back into 4th gear it shot off again.

The garage took it for a test drive and retested with nothing showing up and said that I should see if they pop up again as it may be a software problem, which they would need to get a price from renault about.

The 3 month warranty will run out towards the end of next week, but I am guessing that even though I have the slips from 2 code reads the fact that the fault is currently not showing up the dealer will not have the problems fixed.

Any advice will be great. Thanks.

Hi,

Sounds as though the catalytic converter may be breaking up and blocking the exhaust. When you change down, the momentary loss of gases allows the honeycomb part of the cat to fall back. The lambda sensor reading seems to point this way too.
    The brake fault - first ensure all brake lights are working. If so, next part to suspect is the switch above the brake pedal.

My wife has a Renault Clio Automatic and the gears do not change when she speeds up and the revs go high. Even she is doing 20mph, the revs can go up to 3000 before it changes. When joining the motorway, the revs go up to 5000 before it changes and the speed increases. I had a diagnostic test done and got the following fault codes:

6D Engine Torque Information Invalid
    3G Sensor Supply Circuit
    7D Injection - At Connection (Load Info)
    8G At Selector Lever Position

I have a Renault Clio 1.6 16v Initiale Auto 54 plate

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you