Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new heater matrix but still fumes

Default new heater matrix but still fumes

Citroen Berlingo HDI 1996

I had a new heater matrix fitted 2 weeks ago. It had been leaking coolant and steamed up the windows. There is now no leaking and no steam. However there are still fumes inside the cab coming from heater vents.
    Garage say they cannot smell them and won't investigate further , and yet they make me choke and i drive all day.

Are there any test kits in the shops for fumes that could help. thanks

Are you sure there are no leaks? also you may have remnants of coolant in the heater system??

Definately no leaks where they were before. After posting message i took it for a 6hour motorway journey and kept heater on hot, seems less whiffy than before. If there are 'remnants of coolant in the heater system' i guess that means they will soon burn or evapourate off thanks
    Last edited by racvan; 21-03-08 at 22:05.

see if a crankcase hose has come off the engine as this will allow fumes to enter the car...instead of going back into the the air intake.

Is it easy to see a crankcase hose. Are they under the bonnet or behind the dashboard? I'm still getting fumes.

the hoses are under the engine bay. take the plastic engine cover off, if it has one and there will be a pipe from the top of the rocker cover (on the very top of the engine )that goes into the air filter or some part of the air intake. check to see if it has come loose or is split.

does the it smell of like curry by any chance?

It does have a plastic engine cover, i'll have to have a look underneath in the light tomorrow.
    You mention a 'rocker cover'. When i first took the van to the garage saying i could smell fumes in the cab , they investigated and fixed or replaced a leaking rocker cover gasket and an oil leak in the sump.

The fumes however were still there and i had to visit a further 3 times to say there are still fumes and by now there was brown steam coming out of dashboard and antifreeze leaking under passenger footwell. So new heater matrix.
    I'm in the van all day and i'm now finding it hard to be exact about the smell. It seems to of changed from the antifreeze/coolant to , maybe exhaust , maybe curry

A curry like smell usually indicates a leaking heater matrix-but you have had this replaced............ Check your coolant and oil levels-are you loosing either?? If the smell is present-it should be fairly straight forward to for a garage to identify what it is ie oil burning/coolant??-it may be worth checking the engine for excessive oil leaks.........

Default broke again

It's 6 months on and the new heater matrix has had to be replaced again. This time steam was coming out of the full dashboard. The mechanic thought the head gasket was gone at first but when i picked the van up the manager said that was fine and that it was the matrix again.

Is it just bad luck that it's happenned twice? If something is causing it to break what could do that?

If the matrix was an aftermarket one you may have just been unlucky. Cheaper than the original but you get what you pay for.
    Might be worth replacing the coolant tank cap in case it's over pressurising the system.
    Also ensure there is plenty antifreeze in the system as it contains an inhibitor to prevent corrosion.