Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rover 214 starting problems

Default rover 214 starting problems

cars was running lovely then missus was driving and it just shut down. its got fuel and turns over just wont fire, tried jump starting it but just doesnt want to know its had new dist cap rotor arm and leads only two weeks ago, think it may have run out of fuel maybe dodgy gauge but have put 10 worth in

have you checked the timing belt? Also there is possibly an inertia switch in line with the fuel pump which may need resetting

the timing belt was looked at recently because the dreaded head gasket was changed. like i said the car has been getting better to start and since head gasket done last month car has done about 700 miles. i have pressed both fuel cut off and reset switches but dont know if its re-set should it click to confirm fuel cut off no longer on

problem sorted it was dodgy rotor arm only put it on 3 weeks ago cant believe 2 knackered rotors just bad luck. seperate problem tho on cold morning car will only start when take coolant sensor off and fires straight away then just put plug back on. it is a new sensor

Thanks for coming back and posting your resolution-I take it you checked for a spark and there was none and you diagnosed the fault from there? Ref the cold start problem even though its a new sensor have you measured the resistance to confirm that it is giving the correct reading??? it may be telling the ECU to inject too much fuel if it is giving the wrong value-also check the wiring loom for chaffing/poor connections.
    Last edited by Sussex Patrol; 14-03-08 at 07:44.

yes after checking fuel got spark from ht lead then nothing after just bad luck on the new rotor arm

had new sensor checked by computer and fault was cleared when new one was put on also ecu has been checked and is fine just going to have to check wiring. compression was tested as low probably because head gasket problem told may get better with more wear and warmer weather.

Now that could have a big bearing on the problem-this is why its important to mention all the facts-I'm thinking low compression/rich mixture due to cold start equals non start?
    Sounds like you need to rectify the poor compression before you go any further.

I own a rover 214 and currently seem to be experiencing the same problem as the 1st gents 1st problem, where is this inertia switch? i've looked in haynes and still cant find it anywhere? any help would be appriciated
    Last edited by andyk115; 02-05-08 at 19:29.