Reading fault codes on ford focus
1.8 Zetec, 2002, petrol, manual, stalling problem when braking or slowing down. Suspect this is the idle control valve, as had diagnostics in the past which have shown nothing.
The battery/ignition light is now showing on and off at least once a day now, and problems appears to be worsening. Are there any fault codes I can read without taking it in to Ford, and if so can anyone explain it to me?
scroll to the bottom of this link and you should find what you are looking for.http://www.fordst170.co.uk/useful.php
Originally Posted by silvermedusa
It would be worth cleaning the idle speed control valve and also the throttle body-to see if this helps.
unfortunately these will only be instrument trouble codes and not ECU codes
Yes there is a clear confusion on this people seem to think you can read the ECM/PCM codes through the cluster.
Last edited by Sussex Patrol; 07-03-08 at 22:10.
Hi I have a 1999 S reg 1.8 Focus doing the exact same thing did you manage to get your problem fixed if so what was the problem.
Its either idle speed control valve or vehicle speed sensor in gearbox.
To test idle speed valve:
1. engine at normal temp.
2. idle speed around 850-900rpm
3. rev up to 3,000rpm plus and lift foot off pedal
4. if revs drop straight down to BELOW 850 then recover suspect idle valve
5. switch on all electrics - headlights, heated screen, heater blower etc
6. repeat above - rev up as before
7. if revs drop down below 850 and engine cuts out or struggles at 650rpm then valve has definitely failed.
8. A good valve will drop down to about 1200rpm then slowly come down to 850rpm.
If this all checks out and only stalls/cuts out when the car is moving/being driven, then gearbox speed sensor.