Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 307 ABS fault

Default Peugeot 307 ABS fault

Hi. I have a 2001 Pug 307 HDi, 2l, that has developed an ABS fault. Had it checked out and seems that the ABS is 'reversed' ie kicks in on braking, as two sensors have a fault. After a few mins a fault is detected, the ABS warning light shows, and switches it off. Then 'normal' braking is fine. Replacing these will cost 300, and may not solve the problem, as it may be the pump (costing loads of money).

Can the ABS be disabled? Safely? Although the ABS is not part of the MOT, they say the fact that there is a warning light means it WILL fail the test.

I'm reluctant to fork out 300 for sensors if they are not the root of the problem.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received

On some cars, disconnecting the battery can disable the ABS, leaving the car with 'normal' braking. The handbook normally mentions this. It will leave the light on though, and will normally mean a trip to a dealer to have the system reset. For what it's worth, you can check the sensors with a multimeter, they produce an AC voltage when the wheel is turning. Usually sensors 'fail' because they are dirty, so could be worth cleaning them.

The abs can not be disabled it is integral to the safety of the vehicle. With out knowing what fault codes were stored it is hard to know what the fault is. As above you could check the A/C voltage of the sensors-but also you could check the resistances of the sensors. Also check the toothed reluctors for dirt ingress/damage and also the sensors for dirt buildup excessive air gaps. The abs is designed to kick in when braking and can trigger on various surfaces even if you don't think you are on a slippery surface-for example my vans abs kicks in now and again when slowing down on certain roads-are you sure that is operating incorrectly?
    Last edited by Sussex Patrol; 07-03-08 at 20:03.

Thanks guys. It is definitely operating incorrectly, it is kickin in every time I brake, regardless of surface or speed, until the light shows a fault.
    I will follow both your suggestions regarding the sensors

Will the car fail its MOT because of the appearance of the warning light, as they say it will?

Quote Originally Posted by cautious View Post
    Thanks guys. It is definitely operating incorrectly, it is kickin in every time I brake, regardless of surface or speed, until the light shows a fault.
    I will follow both your suggestions regarding the sensors

Will the car fail its MOT because of the appearance of the warning light, as they say it will?
    I agree with the above answers. Air gaps and brake dust build up are most likely faults.
    Modern brake pads have friction material that contain steel particles, If enough of it builds up on the sensor surface it can shield the sensor from the reluctor disc and give either a weak or no signal.

If a car is fitted with ABS it needs to 'appear' to be working properly to pass an MOT. i.e. Correct operation of the warning lamp.

If it is the rear sensors that are sed to be faulty?

Hi

I have the same problem in my Peugeot 307 SW 2l HDI and in diagnostic it says

"C1337 REAR RIGHT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR . SHORT CIRCUIT
    TO EARTH OR SHORT CIRCUIT TO POSITIVE OR OPEN
    CIRCUIT"

I replaced the rear right sensor and the problem is still there.

Any suggestions please?

Regards

Default abs fault

Hi
    just had the same problem the sensor came up as faulty. So we changed it but the fault remained it turned out to be rust at the the back of the sensor where it fastens to the bracket, Hope this helps

Check if corrosion has altered the sensor gap, this is common on the pugs

307 seems to suffer from abs probs. couple of points. the 307 does not have the toothed ring and coil and magnet pick up sensor which produce the the ac voltage when the wheel rotates. these type of sensors do not require a supply. the 307 sensors work with a supply voltage and are worked by a rotating north south north south etc strip located on the wheel bearing seal. i think they produce a digital signal for the abs ecu. resistance readings on the sensors may be ok if you have a known good sensor to compare. the readings will give a higher reading one way than the other but ive been told they can be damaged doing this. all i can say is mine were not. i posted a good while ago on this subject after peugeot recalled my car for abs work and gave it back with an abs fault which they then said had nothing to do with the work even though the car had never had an abs fault before. if that thread is still available you can read what i had to do to sort my particular problem. regards andy