Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CAT D Insurance help

I agree with the content of the link, but not with what you have posted. Your definition is more relevant to Cat C. A Cat D is when the cost of repair is probably lower than the car value.*
    As for comments about insurance companies not knowing about whether they need an engineer's report or not, that is usually a Policy matter. (Their Operating Policy, not Insurance Policy.) My last car and current car were both Cat Cs, and my insurer is quite happy without one.
    *Cost to insurance company for recovery and storage, for instance, could be enough for the insurance company to write a car off as a Cat D, or cost of a courtesy car whilst parts are being obtained.

buying guide please CAT 'D' INSURANCE WRITE OFF Vauxhall 2007 Car
    I have seen a car that I really like....Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Club, Manual 57 Plate...with 45,000 miles on the clock....
    Really liked it when I saw it....this car sell on ebay just 2500

"recorded as a Cat D Insurance write-off on 14 Aug 2012"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice please?
    Seller say car was excellent condition, nothing any wrong. anyone reply please

What is the question?

Before you commit yourself then make sure you can insure it - after that take all the usual precautions.

My last two cars have been Cat Cs, and i have had no trouble insuring them, or any kind of loading. (I was driving one when I had my incident a couple of years ago, and the fact that it was a Cat C was never raised, although my insurer does know.)

A Cat D is when the total financial cost to the insurer is above the value of the car. This could be through recovery costs, storage costs, cost of courtesy car or a combination of all these and many other factors. Does not necessarily reflect the damage to the car.

Most insurance companies have no problem insuring a car that has been repaired and has category C or D on the logbook nor should you receive any kind of loading on the premium. Nor (if the car has been repaired and got an MOT) should they ask for an engineers report. Remember, most insurance repaired cars do not have category C or D on the logbook so why should it make a difference. You should always tell your insurers all information about your car including that your car is a Category D or C repaired vehicle.Insurance companies get cars repaired and DO NOT take the insurance from the owner or load the premium more. These cars that are repaired by the insurance companies rarely get an engineers report done.I buy and repair category C and D cars. I and my wife drive our cat C cars and insurance has never been a problem.Identical cars A and B both have identical damage. Car A was in London while car B was in Stockport. It cost 900 more to fix car A that car B because of the storage charges in London. It so happens that they are both with the same insurance company (not that it really matters).The same Loss Adjuster decides not to have car A repaired (so car A automatically gets a category C) as the repair cost for car A are 400 above his maximum for that cars year and model however he will get car B repaired.So car B gets repaired and is not shown on any database and the owner certainly will never tell a future buyer that fact and even if he did the car is NOT on any database as a category car.Car A however is bought from the insurance company by the registered workshop (not that it really matters) that repaired car B. They repair car A to the same standard BUT car A is now on the HPI register as a category C and no matter how many engineers inspect and pass the car it cannot be removed from HPI's database. Even if (after a 300 test) HPI categorised the car as Condition inspected the car is still category C.There is a good argument that ALL cars that are damaged should be given a category listing that stays with the car even after repair, no mater who gets them repaired. Then watch insurance premiums rise through the roof.The whole setup requires a kick up the backside. If all repaired cars (like the ones repaired by the insurance companies) could be independently inspected then DE-categorised before being resold then this whole category nonsense could be a thing of the past.GOV.UKReported road casualties Great Britain: annual report 2012https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-report-2012Kind RegardsBarry Hensall (CatigoryCars Ltd)

Quote Originally Posted by S2000Nut View Post
    it would appear that there is some confusion with Cat C and Cat D write off's.
    Insurance companies do not seem to know the difference.

When i phoned the DVLA to ask the difference they told me that Cat C was the worst case of the 2 with an engineers report required before the car can legally go back on the road.

Cat D is purely cosmetic damage that is more than the value of the sum insured hence not worth the insurance companies time to fix. thus write it off.
    Cat D does not require an engineers report to put the car back on the road.
    I attach a link that was also quite helpful.

http://www.carsalvagefinder.co.uk/ca...categories.php

I hope this is some help.

B
    The above statement by DVLA is total nonsense and I doubt they said it.
    Vehicles are put into category C or D based on the official following criteria:-

A: Not allowed to be repaired or parts sold, to be sold only for its recyclable content.
    B: Heavy damage, Not repairable, can be broken for spare parts only, shell must be crushed.
    C: Repairable, where the insurer's repair costs exceeded the vehicle's pre-accident value.
    D: Repairable, where the insurer's repair costs did not exceed the vehicle's pre-accident value.

The information the link in this article takes you to is not oficialy correct.
    There are only FOUR ofishal categories and only FOUR are recognised by DVLA and HPI (A,B,C,D) (DVLA get there category information from HPI).

The category C or D given to a vehicle is mainly determined by the cost of repairs in relation the vehicles age and value.
    A category C vehicle can have less damage than a vehicle with a category D listing.
    Only a category C vehicle is subject to a VIC test.
    The VIC test is presently under review.

Association of British Insurers Code of Practice for the Disposal of Motor Vehicle Salvage
    https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files...20salvage.ashx

Kind Regards
    Barry Hensall (CatigoryCars Ltd)

Angry Cat D purchase

I have had a car now for the last 4 years, which I now discover is a Cat D, I purchased the car from an indenpent garage, should they have told me it was CAT D, and if so where could I complain?

A trader or garage must tell you if a car is a Cat D. Trading Standards is the place to complain but you have to go through Citizens Advice Bureau first.
    You should never buy a car from anyone without doing an HPI check. Even a Mytextcheck at only 4 or so is cheap. Also http://www.hpitextcheck.co.uk/ and takes a few seconds by mobile text.

Default What is wrong in repairing cars?

Dear wendywazzy

You have been driving a car for 4 years and now discovered to your horror that its category D. Yes you should have been told. At least you know. There was 181,000 cars last year involved in accidents and about 60% were repaired by the insurance company's. Those cars will NOT have any indication attached to them that they have been in a accident and their future owners will NEVER know about this.

Kind regards
    Barry Hensall (CatigoryCars Ltd)
    Last edited by CatCars; 16-03-14 at 10:50. Reason: Additional info