Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: toyota prius

I don't think any buyer of a new car believe the figures that they put out on the brochures, one of my brothers in law bought one of those Hybrid cars, that boasted a combined 80 Mpg?

When he took it on long run, the car couldn't even manage half that figure. After a long argument with the dealers he swapped it for another model.

I didn't think anyone actually believed manufacturer's figures any more, but at least they use the same testing method so they are consistent accross all makes.Potential buyers can then make a comparison of like against like.

The practical problems of producing a figure based on actual road driving are immense and would be open to all sorts of abuse and fiddling.

How do you devise a system based on real world driving that would be consistent across all makes unless there was a dedicated circuit that all manufacturers use? That wouldn't be much more relevant than the rolling road method they use now.

Anyway at the risk of stating the obvious, how you drive is more important than what you drive. I get 50+ out of my 10yo Focus

hi, i see that this is an old posting but my 2010 prius spirit is excellent on fuel. i get average 66mpg usually higher at 69mpg and have got it as high as 80.1mpg one summer day (not too hot) mine is nearly 3 yrs old with 38k miles air con only reduces consumption by 3 mpg so all i can say mike is FOG!

i got 80.1mpg so figures can be true.

I have now seen quite a few Priuses on the road, and I have yet to see one being driven in the way I believe they were designed for. Every one of them has been involved in Traffic Lights Grand Prix, and when they hit the motorway, they are off at 80mph. I really have no idea why those people are in Priuses. If they wanted a sports car, they should have bought one. A friend who works for a manufacturer occasionally 'investigates' claims of low fuel consumption. He visits owners at their houses and will ask them to take him for a 20 mile drive, including a bit of motorway and a town centre. After they have concluded their drive, he will take over and run the same course. He has been able to double the fuel consumption, with just a two-minute 'penalty' on the run by showing how 'roadcraft' can make for a better return on the fuel.

Regardless of the make and model of a car, the most important fuel saving device is the driver's right foot.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Regardless of the make and model of a car, the most important fuel saving device is the driver's right foot.
    Coupled with the drivers BRAIN and anticipation.

For a number of years I organised Economy Runs for a classic car club, and it made a lot of drivers adjust the way in which they travelled! The fuel tanks were brimmed, and the drivers had a fixed route to follow, and at the same pump the tanks were brimmed again.

In 2008, a Prius took part and the result was 75.6 (all in Mile/gall) but was only beaten by a Smart car at 77.95. A Fiat Bravo 1600cc diesel realised a figure of 73.61.

Each year owners obtained better results and three years ago a 1981 Austin Allegro 1.3 achieved 60.56, and a 1973 Austin 1300 did 65.55! Have cars really got much more fuel efficient?

Another interesting test was by an owner of an MG Maestro 2 Ltr. EFI who did the run twice, once driving 'normally' at 26.99, and then driving with economy in mind. On this second run he was amazed that the car achieved 44.89.

Merv the Swerv.