Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toyota prius

Hybrid View

Default toyota prius

I have bought a toyota prius 3 weeks ago.It is a new car.I would just like to warn prospective buyers not to take notice of fuel consumption figure,either in brochure,or on inboard computer.Toyota claim via EPA fuel figures that yo can get 65 comb. 56 urban.This is a complete lie.You will be lucky to get combined figure of 47.This is what i am achieving and that is driving by the book.I have been involved with electric drive systems since the 1970,s so i am no novice.Why are these people allowed to deceive customers in this way.

Must admit to being surprised at difference between advertised figure and 'real world' figures. I found this on a website; http://www.wintonsworld.com/cars/a-c...road-test.html
    The response from Toyota makes for some interesting reading.

I am very dissapointed about being deceived this way.My experience tells me not to beleive figures from manufactures i would have been happy to abtain 50-55.,but not being able to get even 50 i really feel conned.Toyota should not be allowed to get away with this grossly inflated figure.It must surely defie the trade discription act.

I have never known any car get the figures quoted by the manufacturer. Remember they are done in conditions which you cannot re-create on the roads. It's about time they were made to drive them around towns and cities to get the figures and not test tracks.

I have been led to believe by friends working for various manufacturers, that fuel consumption tests are done on a rolling road inside a building. A fixed procedure of accelerating, cruising at set speeds for set times, etc. Hence no up and down gearbox, applications of throttle for gradients, slowing for perceived hazards, etc. All in all, a complete waste of time, and absolutely no relationship to real-use consumption. Comparisons do tend to work though, if car A performs better in test than car B, chances are it will be better on the road.

Default prius fuel consumption

I still have a bee in my bonnet with regard to Toyota Prius fuel consumption.To say that most tests are done on rolling roads is all very well,but we dont drive on rolling roads!I own two Toyota,s, the other is a verso yaris fuel figures are within 6-8 m.p.g.of Toyota,s figures which to me is acceptable.I would like to put out a challenge to Toyota to come out for a day with me and prove to me the accuracy of their figures.I am not going to take this lieing down.

Quote Originally Posted by michael smith View Post
    I have bought a toyota prius 3 weeks ago.It is a new car.I would just like to warn prospective buyers not to take notice of fuel consumption figure,either in brochure,or on inboard computer.Toyota claim via EPA fuel figures that yo can get 65 comb. 56 urban.This is a complete lie.You will be lucky to get combined figure of 47.This is what i am achieving and that is driving by the book.I have been involved with electric drive systems since the 1970,s so i am no novice.Why are these people allowed to deceive customers in this way.
    fuel consumption figures are supplied by the department for transport not manufacturers. These tests are carried out to provide exact test conditions for each car ie temperature, speed and resistance. Therefore you are highly unlikely to get to any of the manufacturers printed figures. I am surprised someone involved with electric drive systems would not know this. The Toyota Prius is likely to get anywhere between 42 - 62 mpg. I know people currently achieving 57 mpg - show me another petrol automatic in this segment to get to these figures.

Default fuel figures

Quote Originally Posted by michael smith View Post
    I have been driving a Prius for 5 years and the consumption varies to an average of 48 mpg in winter and 52 mpg in summer, this being the onboard computer reading. I have just done a mileage check by filling the tank at start and finish, the route consisted of 300 miles of motorway driving and 162 miles of urban driving, the result was 56.86 mpg. I did the same 2 years ago on a 2000 mile tour of Scotland and returned 57.6mpg. I would suggest if this does not improve take it back to your Toyota Dealer and get them to set it up properly, but give the engine chance to loosen up say 2000 miles. I am no slouch when it comes to driving and am extremely happy with the Prius, For a petrol automatic of the size you will not find better and having used a golf diesel auto recently on trial I found the golf no better on fuel than the Prius and with the extra cost of diesel I was worse off. I have now replaced my old Prius with another one I am so confident in the brand. Hope this helps

I don't think any buyer of a new car believe the figures that they put out on the brochures, one of my brothers in law bought one of those Hybrid cars, that boasted a combined 80 Mpg?

When he took it on long run, the car couldn't even manage half that figure. After a long argument with the dealers he swapped it for another model.

I didn't think anyone actually believed manufacturer's figures any more, but at least they use the same testing method so they are consistent accross all makes.Potential buyers can then make a comparison of like against like.

The practical problems of producing a figure based on actual road driving are immense and would be open to all sorts of abuse and fiddling.

How do you devise a system based on real world driving that would be consistent across all makes unless there was a dedicated circuit that all manufacturers use? That wouldn't be much more relevant than the rolling road method they use now.

Anyway at the risk of stating the obvious, how you drive is more important than what you drive. I get 50+ out of my 10yo Focus