Thread: Stuck closed back door on a renault espace

Default Stuck closed back door on a renault espace

Can anyone advise on how to get a back door open on a renault espace without breaking door panel, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    thanks Andy

Anyone have any ideas that might help?

Please post all the details as per the sticky at the top of this section. Do you mean the tail door or a passenger side rear door?

Sorry, its a renault espace 2.2 turbo diesel, 1999, and its the tailgate that i'm having problems with. I closed it the other day and now it wont open, was wondering if anyone has had the same problem that might point me in the right direction to solving this.

thanks junior

Default Stuck Tailgate

Ive had that problem also on the boot door of the espace and it is very annoying. If you open the tailgate and at the centre of the inner door moulding you should be able to lift the moulding just enough to see the latch mecanism underneath. smear this latch with a but of light grease/ vaseline and it will sort out the problem.

Hi Junior,

you may like to check the position of the tailgate handle 'knob', which is the part you press towards you with your fingers in order to open the tailgate.

The problem could be due to the 'knob' stuck in 'door open'/'compressed' position or not travelling/springing back fully to its neutral or relaxed position when you last locked the door. If this is indeed the problem, the following simple steps will help.

1. Lock the tailgate or all doors if using central locking system.
    2. Manually nudge the 'knob' back fully to its neutral position.
    3. Unlock tailgate

You should now be able to open the tailgate.

Hope this is the problem and the solution works for you.

Unhappy Jammed Espace Tailgate

I've got the same problem on my 2002 Espace 2.2DCI Race.

Tailgate will not respond to commands from Plip key or central locking button inside the car.

Was an intermittant fault until recently and now the tailgate is completely jammed shut !!!. I can hear the solenoid in the tailgate responding to the open and close commands and the locking mechanism is moving as it should do. The last time the tailgate was open (7 days ago) I check the action of the tailgate lever and locks.

I've read elsewhere on a Matra website (they used to make Espaces for Renault) that there is a seperate computer in the tailgate !!! and this might not be receiving the correct signals.

I think this one is going to be tough to resolve and I don't really want to go to a Renault dealer and spend a fortune

Anybody got any ideas.............Thanks

Experience the same problem.

Has anyone solved this issue yet?

Thanks

Tjay, Netherlands

Smile

I had a similar problem about 12 months ago......

I could hear the lock opening and closing and could feel the handle sort of sticking a bit as I tried to open the boot but it would not open.

I spayed WD40 in every opening I could see around and up inside the boot handle and the lock areas at either side of the door and "bliped" the locks lots of times, trying the handle after each opening "blip" (I also applied a bit of pressure onto the door by pushing onto it as I pulled the handle). Eventually the boot door opened.

I sprayed WD40 into all the lock areas and handles and lubricated any moving bits that I could see, (and probably some that I couldn't see aswell).

I now regularly lubricate these areas with WD40 and have not had the problem return.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.....

Default Stuck Tail Gate On Espace

I was one of the lucky ones !! After several weeks without not being able to open the tail gate - One morning I tried the plip and the tailgate unlocked !!

I immediately took off the the inside panel ( you cant get it off with the tailgate shut) and discovered the fault which was lack of lubrication on the solenoid slider.

Full amounts of grease and WD40 were applied to all the locking mechanisms and it now works AOK. Personnally I think there is a design fault here in that water and moisture is allowed to ingress the mechanism.

I hope Renault UK read these posts because their customer service department had no idea of the fault and their dealers were not much better.