Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus 1.6 Power loss

Default water in spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by swordsman75 View Post
    More details since first post:
    Problem got significantly worse fri / saturday - With engine warning light coming on for the first time.
    Checked connection around coil pack sunday, saw no obvious problems
    Then removed the spark plug boots - Each spark plug sitting in its own puddle of water! 2 oily, 2 clear water.
    Soaked this up, reconnected boots - Car runs like before the weekend - ok for most of journey to work, then some stuttering after about 1/2 an hour.
    And the engine warning light is still on.
    So - Not sure how the water got there - I had a new seal fitted last year when oil got into this very area!
    Is this my only problem, or does the warning light suggest an underlying problem I havn't got to yet?
    Thanks for your help so far, any further suggestions welcome!
    I have just experienced exactly the same problem (1.6 Focus, 2003). Did you ever find the solution? It is engine coolant and my mechanic has cleared the water out three times now, but is at a loss to know how it got there.
    Thanks.

The solution which worked for me was to:-

replace the 2 core plugs between the spark plugs - that didn't work!;

replace the core plugs again, but this time set them in Araldite. It's been as dry as snuff ever since.

The suggestion from the garage (I used Nationwide who I found knowledgeable) was that there may have been a hairline crack in the block.

The purpose of the core plugs, as I'm sure you are aware, is to prevent the block cracking in the event of a freeze-up. The core plugs would pop out as the water expands. This would not happen if they were sealed in. In our climate and with good antifreeze the risk of freezing is minute, so it was a risk I was prepared to take. Just make sure the antifreeze is up to strength!

A word of warning. Don't tighten the plugs up too tight. They can easily seize in with the risk of shearing off if too much force were to be put on when trying to remove them. Bits dropping into the cylinder, jammed valves, scored cylinder walls..... groan! Major job!

Hope you manage a cure.

Regards

John

Thanks, I'll certainly give it a try

I almost forgot! There is a chance that the water ingress is from the bonnet - where the screen washers are fixed. If the seals are a bit dodgy, water can drip through on to the top of the cylinder head cover and then on to the cylinder head. If that's the case, it's a much simpler solution - bit of silicone sealant in the right place, gaffer tape, or a temporary cover on the cyl head cover. You'll find a way. I had that as well but obviously that was not the cause! Hope that's your solution. Happy fixing.

Default Fed up Ford Owner

I have an 05ford focus 1.6 LX which throughout its warranty Which expired 4 weeks ago was back and forth to the dealers as it ran rough and "jumped every now and then.Each time they did something to the wiper fluid leads and jets and replace the plugs and leads.At its final warranty service the garage snapped the plugs off in the head stating they were seized in due to water getting in . it resulted in the head being skimmed and me being without my car for 4 weeks.
    Once again the car is running rough and when starting off after it has stood awhile it is delayed in acceleration and "jumps for a short while".
    It would appear that Ford are aware of this fault as my car was repaired under warranty.I feel I should take it back as I am worried I will have this happen again costing me a lot of money but can I claim it as a continuing fault or could it be something new.
    Thank you for any help

Question Ford focus zetec 1.6 55 plate

I have a problem with water in the spark plugs. A work colleague had the same problem, same model, same year, same colour by coincidence?. this is caused by the front screen jet washer mechanism manfunctioning. The car dealer service engineer, where I bought the care, advised he was aware of at least 3 instances within the last 2 years on the 55 plate. Spark plus drowned by water, rusted, engine failed to start, management light appeared. It would seem that this is a Ford problem which they are aware of as they have modified the part and I have been advised that this would be approx 40.00 for them to fix. I think not...I am taking the matter further ? I will advise of the outcome, but in the meantime, anyone else having the same problem please ? My work colleague car was under waranty, but was advised that the charge would have been in the region of over 1,000.00 to rectify.

just read your reply,My local Ford garage replaced the leads and covers again stating they had not been refitted correctly after the repair,once again and several months down the line it has started to jump again and the engine imobiliser light comes on , but this only happens when it is damp or there is rain, I am sure I have the same problem water getting in the plugs or leads, I have decided to change the car soon, well as soon as I have finished paying for it and probably px to the same garage it will be their problem then.

Default Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by swordsman75 View Post
    I've not resolved the fluid ingress as yet, but I've changed the spark plugs, and the cars been running as good as new for a couple of weeks now.
    Fingers crossed, I wont need to post again.
    Thanks for everyones input!

Hi there, sorry this is very late, you probably may have found out the problem by now haha. I have the focus 1.6 zetec too, i found a similar problem, i havent as yet solved the rough running under heavy load, but as for the water, as the spark plugs are in the middle of the engine, the rocker cover is sort of like a trough isnt it. well, the position of the engine lines this trough part up with the gap between the bonnet and the rest of the car quite nicely. I found water was sitting in mine, and seeping in though the holes where the h.t leads were. I jus put the h.t leads on firmer and a slither of silicon grease around the inside of the holes. I found that the water stopped entering the side of 1&2 but was still filling up at 3&4. I noticed a rubber grommit next to plug 3 in the rocker cover. this had evidence of dirty water seaping in as it had slight sediment like deposits. this was when i first noticed the dipping in power and kangaroo effect under load, maybe it damaged the h.t leads and spark plugs? As of now, inside is bone dry, and i am replacein the spark plugs and h.t leads, if this does not work, i have a coil pack on stand by. I hope if you still hadn't got to the bottom of it, that this has been a help to you.

Andy.

Default Power Loss

Just an update on the situation. I have changed the spark plugs, h.t leads and the air filter, the car runs much much better, but every now and then at the low revs under heavy throttle, it still seems to hiccup and lose power, then gain it, then lose it, then gain it etc. I think i need to get a new coil pack next. Does anybody know the part number for the coil pack on the 55 plate?? Saves me going out to look in the snow haha. Thanks.

Regards,
    Andy.

Red face Acceleration Hesitation

I have read the replies so far with interest. I have a 2005 1.6 focus. I have had the car for 3 months. I notice a slight hesitation / judder when accelerating from low speed in 2nd. Most noticeable when coming onto a roundabout with revs around 1500 ish

I found water sitting on the camshaft cover and near the coil pack etc. This I traced to leaks around the mounting of the washer jetson the bonnet. I solved it with some clear sealant.

But the car still hesitates slighlty. HT Leads and plugs have been changed. The coil pack is next on the list. Luckily I have no warning lights and if the revs are keep above 2000 the problem is not apparent. But is is so frustrating.

I will post any developments when the coil has been replaced, but if anyone has any thoughts let us poor Focus owners know. Its a shame as the car is great too drive. Someowners atlk of new throttle bodies but this seems a little extreme................and really expensive.

Cheers