Thread: Ignition Key Broken in Ignition

Exclamation Ignition Key Broken in Ignition

Hello.

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.3 Equippe on an M plate.

I bought it as a run around for work and I paid 170. It runs well and reliably.

Today though, the key broke in the ignition barrel as I tried to switch the car off.

For a few weeks, it's been tricky switching the car off and a colleague advised me that the keys are notrious for wearing.

My questions are:
    1: Can the barrel be accessed for the key to be removed. If the key can be removed, can a new one be cut from it.
    2: I was only given one key when I bought the car (it was 170) and therefore have no master. It is a transponder type . If I had a key cut from a blank (providing I can get it out of the barrel), can I hold the transponder next to the new key for the immobiliser to be worked correctly.
    3: Can a number for the key be obtained from any door lock, or from the manufacturer utilising the chassis number????

Can anyone help.

I am an RAC member and my car is not at my home but I would rather keep my calls to the RAC for emergencies

Yes you can remove the bit of broken key and have a new one cut from the 'remains'. The new blanks are steel and are a lot more durable than the 'bronzy' originals. I am not aware on Fords of a key number being in the car, but the easiest lock to remove is the tailgate one. (IF you are very lucky, you may be able to remove the broken bit from the ignition lock with a couple of picks.)

what position is the ignition in now, ie 0, I or II? You will need to get a replacement barrel which comes in kit form that is built to the original key number, so if barrel is in pos I it can be removed by depressing the pin in the lock housing. The chip part of the key should still work if you just go for the cheapest option with a non chipped key. Bit of a long shot but have you checked in any paper work for number, it will be 6 numbers, poss preceded by a letter 'T', no higher than 4, no zeros, eg T 413221.

I do not agree that a new barrel is automatically required. I have dismantled what seems like hundreds of these (with broken bronze keys) and never found the need to replace.

If you can get old key out of barrel you can get a new key cut without the transponder, hold the broken key along side the new key and vehicle will start, can be a bit fiddly but cheapest way of doing it

Thumbs up

yeh agree with shaun,or you get a after market key cut from your local locksmith some of these keys are designed to accomodate the transponder from your broken key which can be removed with the aid of a stanley knife,watch your fingers!

Default Broken Key

hi-ya! Those keys usually break proud of the ignition barrel, enabling you to use some molegrips or suitable pliers to grip/turn the key to remove. The key is a Tibbe key and can easily be read by a patrol/mechanic/locksmith in order to have new ones cut. The barrel tumblers are made of a harder material than the "bronze type" key,and as such, usually the key wears out quicker than the barrel,so the barrel may not need replacing. The transponder only needs to be in the approximation of the steering column (not actually in it),to work the immobiliser,so if you buy a non-chipped key - it will disarm the immobiliser if you keep your original broken-key fob together with your new key. Hope this helps.....